BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:cool: It is abundantly clear that the needs of single handed fly fishers is as varied as the regions in which we fly fish. Watching the changeing face of fly lines over the past 25 years has created some interesting scenarios. For Example,the old Standard Double taper that almost disappeared is now making a dramatic comeback in all areas of the World. So I ask you all to consider what your favorite Dry fly Line or full floating line is.
Here on the Island it is imperative to be versatile , quick casts for small streams,100' casts for the Ocean, delicate presentations for low clear water...and so on. Likely until this year I found the Loop Opti-Stream or the Hardy Mach 1 Trout lines to be my fav's,each completely different in taper yet each able to load quickly and deliver a specific cast. What are you thoughts and favorite lines?
C

·
Registered
124 Posts
For myself I have been using a SA mastery series WF line. Nothing overly extravagant, yet it seems to get the job done without costing me an arm and a leg.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mastery

Hello Finn;
SA's Bruce Richards has done a marvelous job for 3M. The mastery series of lines covers so many situations it is difficult to beat .In fact ,I have several different lines of theirs in both Single and Two Handed versions. For a number of years before other line companies got onto the aggressive shooting lines I would use their 12-13 wt. Tri Tip system (body) for my what we now call Skagit style "Spey casts" with heavy tips.
Loop's Opti Stream line is or was made by SA to Loop's formula. Cortland makes the Hardy Mach1 lines...Shakespear makes Snowbee and so on.
Thanks for the imput

G

·
SA's Mastery is all I use for my stillwater fishing, and my trout stream fishing. I find it covers all the bases and situations.

Finder;)

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I've got an Airflo DT for my 4 wt. Great line for the Skagit and other similar size rivers. For my 7 wt I use a Rio Versa-tip Windcutter. I have no complaints with this line.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I concur

Yes sir salaR.
Those two lines kick some serious butt.
Hardy,aggressive with authority.Great for banging them out.
Loop, just right for most of my small to midsize stream trout fishing, but able to reach out if needed.
Now I just need to make more time for research.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.