BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter cutty flies (more pics)

Its that time of the year now for those Big Cutties to start roaming the shallows.
Also to start snoopin around for an early winter run

Heres a few ive been tying lately for cutts and Steelies

Arthropod Insect Artificial fly Bait house fly
Arthropod Insect Natural material Magenta Feather
Natural material Feather Wood Animal product Wing
Insect Artificial fly Arthropod Bait Fishing bait
Insect Arthropod Wood Bait Pest

·
Registered
375 Posts
That first one is similar to one of my winter cutty favorites. I tie them on hooks up to about a size 2. Those purple and black intruder and bugger style ones lol like cutty killers too. Should be soon. Caught an early one few weeks ago,about four pounds. Nothing bigger since. Hoping this is another good winter season.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea anyone of those work all winter, definately my go to's.. Also i usually do those sticklebacks in grey/white and olive size 2 and 4 aswell.
Nothin huge for me yet either count, got 2 in the 3lb range and smaller, Its getting colder out around here now so it should pick up mid december for some biggins :)

Goodluck to ya count!
hoping to make it up to Kharteume lake this winter

·
Registered
375 Posts
I found it seemed to pick up after christmas. Caught a couple of decent ones last year in october. My biggest of the year was on boxing day. 25 inches and about 7 pounds. Big sticklebacks are my go to winter fly. Bead head buggers are next on the list.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Obviously your fishing the lakes(un-named) up in powell river for those 7lbers. My biggest to date was around5 lbs in Big Q during salmon season last year

·
Registered
500 Posts
what method would you use with these flies in rivers. swing them from your spey rod or cast and retreive with the single hand rod,or even dead drift with an inducator. my problem is i started out swing flies with limited sucess. i've snice been interduced to cast and retreive across holding spot for coho in rivers and i've dead drifted glog bugs from and inducator. i'm still trying to find out what fly works best for each method of river fishing.(maybe i need a book)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can find all the info you need on this forum bearmatt, I usually use the blue/black and that ugly bugger intruder in the lakes and cast retrieve.. also works just as good trolling them.
When i do use them in the rivers i like to use my switch rod and retrieve the nightmare pattern and usually swing the intruders
I do prefer to cast/retrieve wolly bugger patterns at fish ive spotted rather than swing them.
Egg patterns and glo bugs are a dead drift pattern, usually under an indicator but some guys prefer without

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its burl coffee table I made years ago, have had a few people ask about that lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go for it Corney! they are definately "fishy"

sounds like your a wood guy aswell arrgh? very close to birds eye maple, pretty much the same look.

Heres a pic of the table Arrgh, Its a nice piece of burl, dont get to many that have clean edges like this. Most burl tables ive seen have large mushroom like corners/edges. Sure gives it nice character though
Ingredient Artifact Fossil Cuisine Rock

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Thats a nice slab of wood! Id love a table like that but the wife wouldnt have it.
On another note, i'll be also copying a couple of them flies too. Are you using these flies mostly in lakes? Cheers, Ed

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea mostly in the Coastal lakes/P.R
those smaller flash muddlers and minnows, I use for searuns usually in the chuck but are still deadly in the rivers

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm an arborist. Thanks, that is a beautiful piece of wood. Had lots of people ask me for bird's eye maple. I tell 'em it doesn't grow on trees you know....:p

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool arrgh! :thumbsup: never got into being an arborist but I like doing small projects when i get the time, especially with nice pieces of wood to bring out the beuty in it
Yup gotta pay some deecent cash to get some birds eye, hard stuff to find ecspecially around here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts