BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm new to this forum and I wanted to find out how many hard core fly fishermen and women use inflatable pontoons in the lakes that they fish? Anybody have any good stories to share?
I have a 8ft Water skeeter ( rebellion) it's a level IV ....white water ...I don't know about the hard core Flyfisherman part .. But .. ya I've done a few drifts down the Kettle, Elk and Columbia with it ... It's hoot in the white water ..on the Rivers .... saddle up and hang on .. yeeehaaaaa

I use mine on small lakes .. works well for a fly fisher ... the wind blows ya around alot though .... No stories .. my toon does me fine ...

J

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have also an 8ft Water Skeeter. I store it at the Kispiox Steelhead Camp and use it to raft the Kispiox, Bulkey and Morice.
So far I didn't use it on a lake, but that will change this year because I'm not allowede any more to fish those rivers in the weekends because I am a non resident 'alien'.
It's very relaxing and so far I use it only for river transportation.
Next month I go back to the Kispiox.
I'm an old guy of 58 but feel very safe in that pontoon.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have a Water Skeeter toon. They don't make'em any better than Water Skeeter.

Rivers ? not yet. Lot's of lakes.
I have owned 2 WaterSkeeters, and now own an Outcast IR-10. While Water Skeeter has some very nice features, they are far from the best out there and, although I am not sure if they are out of business, the warranty support (or lack of) is the reason all the dealers I know who once sold them refused to deal with them long before they seemingly folded.

As for the OP's question, I have used all three of my pontoons often on lakes, and the Outcast, with a standing platform and larger cargo bags and cargo platform, is by far the better lake boat. I have the luxury though of owning a 12' tinny, so that is my main lake boat, and the pontoons are now almost exclusively river drifters. Again the Outcast far out performs the Skeeter. 10 foot pontoons vs 8 foot pontoons, 7' oars, much greater cargo capacity all add up to a more comfortable and safe ride for a trek that can often last 8 to 12 hours or more.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have an Outcast Discovery 9ft. IR and I use it more than my other boats, on mostly smaller waters. It rows really well and is extremely maneuverable . It is a fairly expensive pontoon but very well made. I've used it for about 7 years with no issues. I sometimes put my electric motor on it, mainly when fishing bigger waters, which is nice when coming back to camp after a long day on the water. The only interesting story I remember is when I had a fish on and 3 loons decided that they all wanted the fish at the same time. As I was netting the fish, one came in from 10 o'clock, another from about 3 o'clock and the last one almost scared the crap out of me as it came from behind and right between my legs. I'm not sure if the fish got away when I released it. I have been customizing (pimping it) out since I got it and am currently seeing how a different seat works(Tempress Fish on), as the stock seat on this boat and other toons are not particularly comfy after a long day.

·
Flyfisher
86 Posts
I use a Creek Company ODC 616 when out on lakes, whenever possible (i.e. when the wind's not blowing too hard).
images.jpg
It's small (6ft 'toons) and relatively light so it's perfect for my needs; I generally kick-troll leeches with two rods at a time, as I'm far from hardcore. I've modified it so that I'm sitting as close to the water as I can get without getting my shorts wet.

It sprung a small leak a couple years back, which meant I had to kick around with the pump hooked into the Boston(?) valve and top off one 'toon every 30 mins or so... Good thing I noticed it going flat before launching!! That's about as exciting as it gets :p

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
warranty support (or lack of) is the reason all the dealers I know who once sold them refused to deal with them long before they seemingly folded.
Again the Outcast far out performs the Skeeter. 10 foot pontoons vs 8 foot pontoons, 7' oars, much greater cargo capacity all add up to a more comfortable and safe ride for a trek that can often last 8 to 12 hours or more.
I'll agree with you on these two counts ....warranty support.. well .. I need not say more .. If I was going to buy a toon again .. it would be a 10 ft outcast ... Simple due to the 8 ft'er is to short .. for rivers like the Columbia or the Kootenay and some white water .. As for the warranty support .. well thats pretty comon sense .....

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts