BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. What does everyone go to sleep looking forward to waking up and starting the day?

I work the greenchain in a lumber yard as well a support worker in a two person home.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where do you work

As of the middle of last month(jan.) I drive a deck truck, transfering I.C.B.C. salvage around the province.

dave

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Student of sorts - Fish & Aqua - looking forward to the end of school and the start of work this summer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
After leaving Tunkwa, moved to Fox Creek, AB to get my hand into the big cookie jar that is the Oilpatch. It fits well with my passion for the outdoors as we work 12 hr. shifts and 4on/4off which leaves lots of time for fishing/hunting and commercial tying through the winter. I work at a waste facility where we take contaminated oil and with the use of a GCS (gravity compression system) we drop the water and solids out leaving good oil and ship it down the pipeline and right into your cars! We also are a terminal for transporting good oil off tankers down the pipeline. The job consists mostly of swinging valves and pushing buttons on a computer screen. Our plant is halfway between town and Little Smoky River, heralded as Alberta's number one grayling stream and we have a large 8x8 Whitetail buck who lives in the bush adjacent to our plant. I usually see him a dozen times a year and he is just too damn smart to get harvested during hunting season. I last saw him in Dec. prancing along our fenceline at 2am with his harem of does! Lucky bugger!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I have the bittersweet vocation of business owner.
Now the fact that it is a full service fishing and hunting outdoor store in the middle of god's country
doesn't hurt.
I put my years in the wholesale end of this industry before taking the plunge and negotiating the purchase of our business.
In the past I have also been a commercial fly tier and built custom rods.
Oh ya fishing guide up north on the Babine for a couple of years as well.
Amongst many other vocations that come in handy as well.
For instance today I will finish fabing up security bars for our expansion.
Measure, cut, weld.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm an intern architect and work out of my home for a small firm. I do residential stuff as well as a lot of seniors facilities (residential care, assisted living, etc).

·
Registered
383 Posts
retired

Unless I am stuck with doing some more consulting work...

Mostly hunting and fishing now...biding time for softer water conditions these days.

Worked as a wildlife biologist from May 1970 until retiring 31 Dec 2003, then consulted to the oil and gas industry full time in northern British Columbia and Alberta until mid-November 2006 when we went on a 3.5 month fishing trip to New Zealand. Since grudgingly returning to BC, I now try to pass the jobs to my youngest son who began where I left off in the environmental consulting business.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I work as a firefighter, started 3 years ago, and love it. Before that I worked in construction, mostly residential. I spent most of my time doing finish work and installing hardwood floors. Did quite abit of framing too. I do still dabble with finish work and installing doors here and there as I enjoy building still and its a good little side venture to fund my hobbies. Fishing and cars can be expensive hobbies.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well you all seem pretty better off. right on. jsut finished my second day at the greenchain. pat thats hard work. all graveyards next week. leave the day to fish...not sure thatll happen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Certified Financial Planner with TD Waterhouse, and yes, the last couple of years have been very "interesting".

Hey "Count" I noticed you mentioned cars as a second hobby; what kind do you play with?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Certified Financial Planner with TD Waterhouse, and yes, the last couple of years have been very "interesting".

Hey "Count" I noticed you mentioned cars as a second hobby; what kind do you play with?[/QUOT

I'm interested mostly in late 60's muscle cars. Myself I have a 68 Firebird.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LPN in various extended care facilities/group homes, and many other odd jobs, eagerly awaiting retirement 30 or so years from now so I can be that old bastard who is already fishing where I plan to go every day out

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah retirement will be nice in 40 45 years. i dunno when do people retire. lol. fish till i die.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
yah retirement will be nice in 40 45 years. i dunno when do people retire. lol. fish till i die.
With 20 years of service, I can retire this Oct at age 42 and never have to work again. Having said that, my wife would find things for me to do so I've elected to stay in the military until I'm 55....at which time I'll find my own things to do :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was really spoiled in that I never actually had to work - just really loved what I was doing. Quit once back when I was 55 then went back into research until retiring at 60.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am an electrical engineer and design silicon chips used in Telecom. TelusTV doesn't use our products but it is the same technology.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts