BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, kinda new here and newer to fly fishing. Looking to stoke up my fly box for the summer and I thought it would be neat to see what everyone keeps stocked in their fly box.

I live in Kamloops and will be fishing many of the stillwater lakes in this region. I picked up most of my gear last fall and only got out a couple times before winter hit.

So lets see what in the box!

G

·
First off... you lucky, lucky man. Living in Kamloops puts you in some of the best trout fly-fishing in the world. I would suggest the following:

Year round flies:
Scuds: Green and Tan in #16-#12
Chironomids: Black, brown, red, green sizes, silver #16-#10 Great after ice-off
Leeches or Woolly Buggers: Maroon/Purple are deadly #10-#8
Caddis imitations wet and dry: Carey Specials, Emergers, Tom thumbs. #12-#8
Halfbacks: Black(Idaho Nymph), Brown, Olive
Dry Mayfly: Any one in #12-#10

Specific times of year and less used:
Waterboatmen: #14-#12: Early spring after ice off
Chironomid(Bomber): #12-#8 Black, Silver: Summer when the lake seems dead.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the start! I will also be heading down to my fly shop with my fly boxes to see what they reccomend, but I also value peoples opinion.

Nostrildamus, I guess I did hit the jackpot when it comes to trout fishing in Kamloops. I am just kicking myself I didn't start sooner. I moved from Saskatchewan 7 years ago and last year was the first time I went fishing since I left. :eek: I feel bad cus when I lived in Sask, I was out every weekend fishing for pike and walleye. But since all of my fishing gear was pretty much usless out here, I never got it all swapped over. Now I am stoked to get out as soon as ice is off!

On one of the times I did get out, I managed to hook up some decent sized fish with some gear that I borrowed off my buddy. So that instantly got me running out to the nearest fly shop to get hooked up.

Keep the suggestions coming! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Which box????...I now have too many and am building more..oh well that is what I do for fun.

I have large Streamers and bucktails for one lake and size 18 for another...may fly's to choronomids to Kokanee look-alikes....all good where I am and depending on the lake...I also have boxes just for the streams and rivers and most of them are caddis/mayfly/stonefly/nymph types of goodies

Depends where you are and the hatch you need to match....otherwise go with attractors...just my opinion

KF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts