BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just curious about everyone’s favorite spey rods; what rods do you like and which ones you don't like.

I personally have a couple rods I really enjoy; my favorite is a Flylogic, Dec Hogan 9140. It’s a little heavier than most rods by today’s standards but is a sweet rod to cast. The Loop Green 11'6" and the 14' are also very nice sticks and are very light in your hand. In my opinion, this is only an opinion because I'm sure some you like these rods but the rod I dislike the most are the new Gloomis rods. They feel very top heavy in your hand and are not very pleasurable to cast all day on the water and they quite expensive, considering what you can get for half the price of a GLX (Scott, Loop to name a few).

G

·
I think that the best rod on the market is the one that gives you the confidence to want to use it and thererfore catch fish---The Spey Rods that enjoy the most are the Dec Hogan Signature Series--Mine must be from a different series than Bergler because it is a 1409--I find it just a little on the heavy side for the Fraser Valley Rivers except maybe the the Fraser for Springs--I also have the 1308 which to me is the greatest alaround rod built--and of coarse I also have the 1307 which to me is still a nice lighter rod but a little on the whippy side of firm if you know what I mean---BUT--Both the 1307 and the 1308 are no longer made so if you are looking for one be prepared to open the wallet wide unless you are very lucky.For me the Big Names like Sage,Scott,Gloomis,and many others that to me are way over priced should stay where they are,on special racks with nice logo`s on them collecting dust in the sports shops till someone says maybe we are asking to much money for a name--BUT--we all know that will never happen because there is always someone that has a fat wallet or still some of his limit left on his plastic card--Tight Lines--

harley

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
A good Two-Handed rod

:!: As we have all seen there is really no One answer...However,it appears that the better quality rods are more expensive for some kind of reason. ie: the Hardy Angel..the 13'(8wt)version of the Angel is likely the sweetest 13' rod I have ever cast...at $1700 it had better be. The 13' "Gores Andersen" Version of the Grey Loop series is also nice and a close second. ($1100) Then of course you have the 13'(9wt)TnT that is likely a stronger rod ,not quite as sensitive...costing about $1000. The 14' Dec Hogan rod is absolutely heavy ,not a nice rod to finess all day but will deliver some very big flies very quickly,especially in capable hands.
I can not say much about the Dragonfly,Cortland and other inexpensive rods except they can be a waste of hard earned $$$. Too often I see novice casters showing up with these rods they have bought from someone not wanting them for a reason .
In the Pacific Northwest, BC included, slow traditional style rods simply don't respond to our needs. These rods are fine if you fish from a "gilley's boat" and cast long floating lines and wait for rising fish . But I must say,What I have seen over the past 10 years here in our region,there is little need for slow action...we need fast,reactive,light weight two handed rods that answer our call. Generally,we fish tips ,big flies,deep water and bushwack..
This morning I found myself under several trees on the Sproat River casting a Beulah 10'6'Switch rod 8/9 wt. I had a Rio Skagit 450 grain line with a 14' super fast Rio tip and of course a big weighted fly on. I only had to cast 60 max' and let my line drift/swing for another 40 feet. Yes I landed a nice Winter run Steelhead and a nice trout > As i cast this rod I realized just how nice it was. Rather than have a 13 or 14 foot rod on hand I have chosen to fish the water with the best choice. I journeyed up to the Falls Pool on the Stamp River ,much bigger water..my rod of choice here was the 13'6" Beulah 8/9 wt. A stunning rod for the price and again,I landed 2 Steelhead and lost One very big fish all on the fly.
So I guess it would be good to hear what I really think...I like most of the big brand names...and rarely fish them... I do not like the cheap rods ! The middle seems to have the best coverage of needs. Greyflex(Greys) ,Beulah,Loop Green,Snowbee ,CND,and a few others..the common denominator appears to be $600.00 +/-. As with One handed fishing,One rod doesn't do it all...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only have 2 rods but i love them both to death!!!!!!!! First is a sage 9141-4 a great all around rod capable of lifting some heavy stuff and chucking it a ways out there. The second is my big water stick TCR 10151 which is a heavy, unforgiving, boomstick, You have to be a surgeon with this rod or it doesn't respond at all. If you can dial it in it is capable of the longest most extreme distance casts, and slicing through the most brutal winds.It really shines with a 60-70ft. shooting head in the nieghborhood of 800 gr. A great rod for fishing town water behind lots of people on a busy day! I hope to add a few more rods to the collection before im dead!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm somewhat of a gear whore. So here goes.
First is a Bukheimer 9143-3. A sweet relaxed fishing stick.
Second is a Meiser 12'6" 7/8. Light in hand very well made with bling.
Third are a pair of Winstons I got a screaming deal on...13'3" 7/8 & 13' 8/9 BII-X.
Fourth is a Scott 1408 LS2. Great skagit rod.

Got all my water situations coverd with these sticks. :twisted:

·
Registered
12 Posts
13-14 ft 8/9 med action is a fine winter rod...with a short head line or Skagit type....light enough, can cast anything...

(I would note that over-weighted flies add to the problem...I see so many flies that are just too heavy...I use lead/metal eyes just enough to invert my intruders...I tie them on ring eye hooks so I can use a loop knot to speed decent...otherwise I don't bother, let the sink-tip take it down for most waters...maybe a small cone or big bead with a loop to help sink things if the body material is a tad heavy...ie: rabbit strip flies,)

Warmer, bigger waters I like a 14-16 ft rod and a 65-80 ft line, changing hook wire gauges to sink the fly more if needed. casts so nice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts