BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
True
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a slue of chest packs, waist packs , around the neck packs and who knows what number of vests etc.
Unfortunately so far I am not happy with any of these arrangements that would have my tools like nippers, knottier, line and leader organize nicely so it is not in the way when I cast wade etc.

What does work for you? What tools do you carry and how do you have them away and still handy when you need them.
Most importantly if you are out for the morning only what would you take with you and how would you organize it?\\
Thank you for any input

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have a double-haul from Fishpond and it's perfect for me. My nipper is on the front, attached with a zinger and my knot tool is also on the front with a zinger but stuffed into a mesh pocket (I don't use it that often). The pack also has a forcep clip on the shoulder so that's where those go. Everything else is inside.

Tippet spools x3, along with my leader wallet go in the front pocket.
indicators, knife, floatant, splitshot, license, etc all go in the main pocket.
Fly boxes x2 are in the upper pockets of my wading jacket.

The backpack portion holds a small swimmers towel, a camelpack and a lunch if I'm going for more than 5 hours (I like to eat!). My net is also on the back with a magnetic release.

Regardless of how long I'm going out, everything stays in the chestpack and ready to go at a moments notice. The only deviation I make is when fishing for pinks. Then I replace one of the standard fly boxes with a special box just for them.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Well, it all depends on how minimal you are prepared to go.

If I'm only going for the afternoon, or up to about 4 hours, I can get away with my haemostat/scissors clipped on to a belt loop and a leatherman on my belt, one jacket pocket with a fly box and some 8lb and 10lb tippet plus a wallet of leaders and poly tips in the other jacket pocket and that's it. I use my hat to hold flies a lot of the time as well. For me, I try to pack as little as possible. Organization depends on the situations I anticipate and how much food I want to pack. Many times if I eat a big enough breakfast and dont drink too much coffee on the drive, I can get 6 hours of fishing in on just a granola bar and no water, so that leaves a lot of room in my pockets. With two pockets in my waders, and two pockets in my rain coat, I can usually just go with that.

Most days I also take a neck pack to which I clip my haemostat/scissors on a caribeener. The neck pack sits high on my chest and basically out of the way for either single handed or spey casting. In it I can carry a med. and a sm. fly box, 4 small spools of tippet from 15 to 6lb, a leader/poly tip wallet, a baggie of hooks for tube flies or yarnies, a swiss army knife, a large plastic garbage bag for fish or garbage. I've also got a hook sharpener in there and a dozen other tools and goodies like a small multi-head screwdriver, a clip-on-the-brim head lamp and of course a bic lighter. The neck pack can also attach to a backpack where I have a cammel back and plenty of space for all sorts of food and warmer clothes. I take this on longer walks and all day walk in trips.

I also have a decent sized older style fishing vest. It can hold 4 boxes, two reels, 4 tippet spools and all the usual goodies easily.

I've got a waist pack for my gear stuff and it's ~15L of space, so it holds a half dozen floats, 2 leader boards, a tackle box or two, baggies of lead and hooks etc., even lunch and a beer. I dont use it much, but it's there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have Dr. Slick Lanyard, I have my crimps, dryfiy goop,hook threader, clippers, tippit 4 rolls on a do-dad. fishing licence, small case comes with the lanyard some small flies I use all the time,
I have a chest pack, it's ok, I can hold 6 fly boxes in it and somemore odds and ends. in it.
I find having the chest pack works best for me, I can add water in it and snakes and it's still light, When I wear my hat I can add some flies to that also.
I've learnt not to over load on stuff.. fly boxes take up alot of room, if I just keep it simple with 3 differnt flies that's all I really need.
Thanks for posting this question.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
As with many things this issue has evolved from vests,chest packs,over the shoulder everything holder and so on...for me it is essential to be efficient and not have too much stuff along...regardless of the time I am spending on the water...For the past several years I have been using simply a Snowbee waterproof Back Pack...simple..spey casts are not hindered,everything is in one place and dry. My hemo-stats are connected to a double Zinger as is my Waterproof Camera. Two fly boxes(One is a Tube Fly Box) and a spool of Tippet material inside my wader pocket. I can wade as deep as I need to and if I need my wading staff then out it comes from it's sleeve that is attached to my wading belt..
agility and comfort...safe and warm...that's the deal! and of course there is always a spare cassett in the back pack that has an extra line system
C

·
Registered
271 Posts
you already know that i wear a waist/lumbar pack from Fishpond. I really like having everything behind me and out of the way. I think i might even go the way of a backpack for gear fishing as well to get rid of the stupid vest even though its tolerable but does erk me alot. I try to bring only what i need for the day of fishing alot like Salar has said, there is no need to pack tons of stuff on a trip. Just like i used to take my gear AND my fly stuff with me on some trips, this no longer happens because now i decide before hand what way im going to fish which cuts down on "clutter" during my fishing day. There is however days where i still bring both but i still pack very minimal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just have a fly vest - all the pockets are adequate for what I do. However, I don't take stuff out to lighten the load ever - I would never remember to put it back in!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I pretty much carry everything I might need. We fish stiilwaters and always take our toons. Man do they have big sadle bags.

dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wear my tools and leader/tippet materials, etc on a simple lanyard that I wear around my neck. A fly box in my pocket and I'm set.

·
True
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it seems that the majority of you have a good planing beforehand which gives you the freedom to move and pack minimum needed. Thank you all as always. It is so nice to exchange an opinion with good people on this board.

from now on I will not look like a Christmas Tree. It will be a bare minimum. Spare 3-4 flies. some leader material and little something to cut that.
I like that. I was so overburdened. 2 Fly boxes, tons of metal tools, waist pack, small chest pack, holly smokes. I already feel better. Mind you for the longer trips of course one has to plan correctly . When I say longer I mean a Trip to Vancouvewr Island for 2-3 days that is it.
Anyway thank you all .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts