BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Last friday, I was in mill bay at the marina, and it was a very calm day on the water, but it looked like it was raining. Only problem was there were no clouds at all, perfectly clear day, then I say the splash, and I knew it was fish.

My only problem was finding out what fish these were, they were in like 5 feet of water, all the way out as far as the eye could see. There were none jumping so I couldn't get a really good look. But the rises looked to be the size of trout rises on the lakes. Any more information would be apprieciated,

Clayton

·
Registered
352 Posts
They are probably either Sea run cutties or Blue backs(Small Coho) Around my place on the Sunshine Coast theres small coho around the beaches chasing bait everywere. So get your rod because there a blast to play.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was going to say coho as well. Caught my first one a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast. They seem to be around mostly in the mornings and evenings and once too bright, they seem to disappear. So it would seem with salmon, time of day has more impact on these fish feeding than tide. Is this really the case, or maybe it's just what I'm seeing in the few times I've been out. I also need to get better at longer casts to reach them - they same to be hanging out at the kelp, which is too far for me, except at the lowest tides (which don't always coincide with early morning or late evening).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that guys, seeing as how theres a marina there, I`ll go talk to harbour mast to see if I can bring my 5w out there, so I dont have to make long casts, as 50-55 feets all i can make with my 8`. What flies would you recommend tying up as there was a lot of surface action.
Thanks,

Clayton

·
Registered
142 Posts
I caught mine on an olive wooly bugger. That's the only one I've caught though, so my experience is pretty limited. My box is also armed with coho blues, mickey finns, clousers of different colours, a variety of fry patterns and I'm also tying up some euphasiid oatterns. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to test some of these flies out to see how they fare.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Try some wooly buggers they are usually a hot pattern and my Favourite the california bugger awesome for coho i have one side of my box with just this pattern in many colours from blue,pink,green being the best for me and pink. all it is, is a wooly bugger with flashbou tail with silver tinsel underneath the lazer wrap for the body. its important to have the tinsel underneath for the shine, with a gold bead head and grizzley hackle. Clousers are also good. any sort of baitfish pattern right now seems to be the ticket.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Surface feeding of suspected cutties...right away, I'd go to a Tom Thumb or Elk Hair Caddis. If you're chasing them sub-surface, any baitfish pattern will usually work but my favourites are either a dark olive over white clouser or an olive over speckled-brown epoxy minnow.

Cutties are a "see food, eat food" kind of fish so if you can present something to them that looks like and acts like a possible food source, you're golden!

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome guys thanks for the tips, moving this weekend so hopefully I can get out, trying to enter the bass derby on saturday also so it'l be tough, thanks again. What do you guys this it is more likely, cutts or blues? I've never heard of cutts schooling like this before tho so I'd bet coho

·
Registered
352 Posts
well as you said they were everywere (looked like rain). cutties dont school up in a big bunch what you also probably saw were bait on the surface at the same time. the coho and also the cutties will chase the bait to the surface and thats probably why you saw so much action on the surface. Its easy to tell when the cutties are surfacing. Coho do school up but you wouldnt see them all at the same time.. only a few at a time.
Its hard to say which it would be but i would probably guess cutties.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try some wooly buggers they are usually a hot pattern and my Favourite the california bugger awesome for coho i have one side of my box with just this pattern in many colours from blue,pink,green being the best for me and pink. all it is, is a wooly bugger with flashbou tail with silver tinsel underneath the lazer wrap for the body. its important to have the tinsel underneath for the shine, with a gold bead head and grizzley hackle. Clousers are also good. any sort of baitfish pattern right now seems to be the ticket.
Hope that helps.
Would it be possible for you to post a picture of one of your california buggers?

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you go on the fly gallery i just posted one. Its not letting me post any pictures on the discussions for some reason.
Sorry for the poor quality had to use my phone.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use silver french tinsel with Lazer wrap overtop. and for the tail a few strangs of flashbou.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts