BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm heading over to Bamfield early next to fish with a buddy and we're going after some coho in the salt.

It's my first time targeting Coho in the salt, and I want to tie up some appropriate flies.

I'd appreciate any info (pattern, sizes, colours, etc).

Thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm heading over to Bamfield early next to fish with a buddy and we're going after some coho in the salt.

It's my first time targeting Coho in the salt, and I want to tie up some appropriate flies.

I'd appreciate any info (pattern, sizes, colours, etc).

Thanks!

Eric
i like these

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Bryan_Webster/blw/CohoKillers.jpg

Coho Killers

size 6 hooks
The bead is 3/16 gold cyclops and the colours are:
1. aqua polar flash over pearl polar flash
2. black d/o pearl flashabou over pearl flashabou
3. pink polar flash over pearl flashabou

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also I have had much success fishing weighted chartreuse/white clousers on #2 (or larger) hooks off of the kelp beds. The trick is to get the fly down before any rockfish can get at it so I use heavy sinktips from 275 to 550 grains depending on tidal action. Other streamer patterns imitating bait fish include green / white, blue / white and even purple / white - all weighted with a little krystal flash. Sizing dependent on whether there are herring, anchoves or pilchards to imitate. On a couple of occasions when hos are at the surface the Miyawaki Beach Popper can be a blast.

In days gone past, when I was a kid, we used to bucktail for coho on the inside (Georgia Straight). But that was a long time ago... haven't heard of anyone having much success doing that in recent years.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bucktails sure do still work, know guys who solely use buctails for coho still, and from what I hear they do very very good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info folks. I've been busily tying up some clousers and a few other suggested patterns.

Thanks Robin for the advice of the line. I also started a separate thread to ask for line advice. Would you mind giving me some feedback on rod choice (7wt or 9wt) and even line brand? One salesman recommended a 9wt 300 grain Depth Charge line with a floating running line.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great to be tying flies for this particular fishery. For saltwater coho fishing I kinda do my own weird thing for lines. I have about 250 yards of 20 pounds backing on my reel (its the same reel I use for bonefishing). The first setup I use is an intermediate running line and interchange 15' sinking tips of varying grain sizes from 250 to 550 (I even have 800g and 1050g tips for pelagic fish). Its a setup not really for casting as I toss the line out a little way and let the tide take it down into the kelp beds. The stronger the tide then heavier the tip. I also use this setup for tossing into bait balls.

The next setup I use is for poppers and that is a regular cold water float line. The final setup is what the salesman is recommending - basically sinktips on a floating line - for me a 275g for 7wt, 300g for 8wt or 330g from 9wt.

As conditions can get pretty harsh on the salt chuck I would not use super expensive rods as they can get beat up badly and quickly. The rod selection and line selection also depends on what fishing platform you use. Using a long 9' rod on a kayak has its challenges...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the additional advice, Robin.

I was tossing over picking up a Rio Versitip for my 9wt. I've already got one for my 7wt. The advantage, of course, is that It has a wider range of applications, although it may not be ideal for this fishery. Any thoughts?

My 9wt is a Sage Xi3, by the way. It will be my first time using it. Too late to go cheap. :).

By the way, do you tend to go with gel-spun or Dacron backing. I would generally prefer gel-spun to get maximum backing on the reel, but I was recently told that it can damage the guides.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts