BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well since we are starting from scratch here I would like to get some conversation happenin'. Anybody getting any steelhead yet?? So far I have managed to hook 3 and land 1. Yesterday was great lost a big wild hen that stripped a bunch of backing of my reel and rampaged into some rapids to spit the hook.Seems like its going to be a good year for swinging flies as I got my first one on January 27th whereas last year we were into febuary before I got any action.

Good luck out there!

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is my first year trying for stealhead on the fly. Have not had any luck yet, but I will keep trying. I go out every Monday as it is my day off and try different spots onthe river. I have never fished the Vedder before, all my previous fishing was still water then about two years ago started fly fishing and love it. This year I got myself an 8wt to try for some of the bigger ones. So far a couple of Coho, a few pinks and lots of Chum but no Stealhead yet. Trying different patterns and water. Loosing lots of flys(snags on the botom) so I know that I am deep enough just not hooking up or not the right place. Using mianly orange General Pactitioners with the odd leech partern thrown in for luck. My day will come.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Fished the river today. Started above Allison pool. I don't really know the river that well so I can't give you details. I fished a couple of km of the water, then went down to the bridge at Tamahi rapids. fished along there for a couple of hours. I am in the same boat as rmpearson, but add to it this is my first year with a spey rod. It was tough today as I spent most of the time on the left bank and I don't double spey very well loeft handed. (A bit better now than at the beginning of the day.) rmpearson PM me, I am on leave right now so I can get away most days if I just plan a little.

·
Registered
205 Posts
God Job Guys. I was out on Monday for about 65 hours and not a nible. Maybe wrong location, wrong Fly, wrong Presentation? Just started this year with flys and river fishing so the learning curve is real steep :cry: . But I know if keep at it my day will come, or should I say my Steekie will be hooked :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts