BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading last night night and I came across this short essay from Rich Tosches.

Tying It All Together

If you become an avid fly angler, you go through a lot of flies. You lose them in all the typical ways.

Snagged in a bush.
Snagged on a log in the river.
Snagged in the side of that guy's neck after he tried foolishly to move into the pool you were fishing.

At about a buck and a half each, losing flies can get expensive. Eventually, most fly anglers tire of shelling out their hard-earned cash. The exception would be attorneys, who simply pad the billable hours sheet and buy more flies–which they display proudly on a patch of wool they keep on their dorsal fins and go on catching fish in their usual way: in their three rows of razor-sharp teeth.

And so now we venture into one of the oldest, most traditional and enjoyable aspects of fly-fishing, a much more enjoyable way to fill our fly boxes. That's right, during a streamside lunch we take a handful of flies out of our friends fly box while he's off in the bushes taking a leak.

No, actually we begin the art of fly-tying.

And instead of buying flies , we create our own flies–right after we buy a $200 stainless-steel vises, delicate feathers plucked from the groin area of Peruvian mountain sparrows, fur yanked from a cheetah's rump by a swift African tribesman, hooks hand-made in Sweden by a man made Sven, who can, in a good week, make two of them, and fly-tying desks made of a certain type of birch that only grows on one hill in a very-hard-to-get-to part of Newfoundland.

By doing that, we will, if we live to the age of 214 and tie flies six days a week, have saved forty-five cents.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really connect to that...what are we doing?
C
Although I truly love tying, I hope my addiction doesn't get to the point it has with you and Fred...you know...have to buy a shop just to have somewhere to keep the tying supplies.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Although I truly love tying, I hope my addiction doesn't get to the point it has with you and Fred...you know...have to buy a shop just to have somewhere to keep the tying supplies.:cheers:
You're right,just yesterday I realized that I have at home almost as much stuff as we have at the store...although my experimenting is certainly more focused,....or is it,with the new Tubeology accessories it seems like our creative inner gears are spinning freely...not sure what I am in for..
right Fred!!??
C

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I intentionally ignore threads on tubes and steelhead flies as I no longer have any room to further expand my tying. It's bad enough that I am at the stage when looking for a new house to rent, I have to get a place with an extra bedroom just for fly tying. The problem with tying still water patterns is the most productive patterns are those bland earthtone colours, so boring compared to steelie flies.

I have no hope for ever breaking even with fly tying. My only hope is that my eyes hold up long enough to pay off my tab at the flyshops I deal with!

·
Registered
598 Posts
tying materials have almost broke me :). too many patterns a lot of which need different mats. never ends. but its not about saving but instead adding one more element to greatest sport in the world.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Well all I can say is.......
It's better than, well most everything.
I have given away almost as much material in my moving around the last five years as I have on the wall here in the shop.
And I still have that much at home.
It is a lot about collecting for me.
I haven't tied much the last few months, but that will change as things calm down around here.
John I concur about the steelie/salmon flies being bright and fun to tie.
Just going to order up some more Rhea and the like to tie flies I may never fish!
Ah yes, such a savings!
Well at least I am not at the bar.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well all I can say is.......
It's better than, well most everything.
I have given away almost as much material in my moving around the last five years as I have on the wall here in the shop.
And I still have that much at home.
It is a lot about collecting for me.
I haven't tied much the last few months, but that will change as things calm down around here.
John I concur about the steelie/salmon flies being bright and fun to tie.
Just going to order up some more Rhea and the like to flies I may never fish!
Ah yes, such a savings!
Well at least I am not at the bar.
Oh good, so you won't be surprised with the colours I show up with in May. Gotta love the pink leech!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts