BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I hear that there are some commercial products that you can buy from rod dealers.

I have one rod that was treated with anise oil, but I have no idea what the process is, only that it's possible, and I like the results.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cork is closed cell so any product won't soak in. There are Cork Sealing products that can be applied as a single coat.
http://u-40.com/corkseal.html
It enhances the color of exotic corks, and does make it easier to clean. It is definitely not a high gloss product.
Another option is to use Tru-oil or other gun stock oil - sold at Lee Valley as Danish Oil. It is applied with many thin coats, though it will darken the cork.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I used a product called Terra Nova Natural Oil from Windsor Lumber. It is the same stuff you use to condition cutting boards and wooden salad bowls. The grips look great and stay clean, but....on the river, if the grips get wet, they get very slick until they dry. I wouldn't do it again (I might even lightly sand the grips I have treated to get rid of the sealer). What ever you use, try it out on your back up rod first and see how you like it. It isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use Tru-oil (gun stock finish) on all my grips and reelseat inserts, 6 to 8 coats, sand to 12000 between coats. Very durable grips do not get overly slippery when wet.

Colin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 3 surf rods are at the Nile Creek Fly Shop if you want a closer look.
Ya, I saw them, works of art; Plus an extra 10 yards (lol)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Whats the length on those surf rods? I'm considering building my own in the next few years and am wondering what lengths people prefer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts