BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm wondering if anyone has any experience fishing the Kettle River this time of the year? I'm going to make a first serious attempt at (semi)big river fishing and was just wondering if any kind gentlemen out there would share a tip or two on fishing the Kettle. I'll be approaching the Christian Valley from Kelowna via hwy 33, probably will stop to fish the confluence at West bridge and then head north to find a place to camp (and hopefully decent fishing grounds). There are dozens of Forest service sites, does anyone know of one close to a hot spot?

Wish me luck, I really want to catch a brook trout!

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I grew up in Midway, and have ~15 years experience on that flow - PM me if you want some info since I'd rather not broadcast any info on the net. I now live on Vancouver Island, but I still remember the river quite well. It's an imperilled river to say the least - it made the top ten for the last few years in the list of most imperilled rivers of BC.

Off the bat, I'd say you should do a river float to get a better sense of what there is for fishy water. Above Rock Creek, you are dealing with a lot of private land, or long hikes to access the good holes. As far as flies go, stimulators matching the stoneflies and caddis hatches will be your best bet, tho I usually start with a #8 tomthumb.

If you want some cheap canoe rentals and perhaps a guide of some sort, you should look up Steve Stewart in Midway. He's in the phone book, and rents canoes - used to be really cheap. He may have the time to accompany you and help you find fish, though he certainly isnt a registered guide. His presence in your boat will likely not cost you more than a case of beer (which he may drink with you in the boat while you float). If not, he is usually more than willing to drop you off and pick you up where ever you want as long as you cover the gas money give or take a few bucks. Steve also runs the community campground in Midway which is right on the river. Book well in advance tho, it fills up fast.

As for Brook trout, not many in the Kettle, you're better off heading to Jewel Lake. You can rent boats from the lodge. Troll a big black leech deep or probe the weed beds in the early morning and then again into the evening. The far end of the lake at the provincial campground is also another good bet.

Any who, PM me with specific questions, or we can exchange emial addresses and send some google earth maps back and forth with some key info added to it. I do this with the MS Paint program standard on most computers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah cheers! I'm going to peruse some maps and I'll be in touch with you. What a shame hey? Such a beautiful river and picturesque countryside, that whole area is one of my favourite spots.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Ya, me too. It was shocking to grow up and be able to actually notice the decline in the fishing, both in size and number. Your timing is good for your trip. High water should just be finished, though it seems like it's a late spring in the area, so the water might be a bit higher than usual.

The river gets warm as a bathtub in July and August which is hard on the fish, so early mornings are a usually a must, or the last hour before dark. Mid-day is beer drinkin time =D.

If you make it as far as Grand Forks, there is some bigger water there, and often somewhat bigger fish, and certainly easier water to access on foot or by car.

Below Cascade Falls near Christina lake, the river holds a wide variety of fish, from bass and walleye to brown trout and kokanee, plus the usual rainbows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts