BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to fish Taylor today and try out my new Sage, vantage 5 wt. it was good considering i didn't catch anything. The rod casted great and everything went smooth. I met a couple of CO's who went through there normal routines, and they mentioned that it was a bit early to be fishing this river which was a thought in my mind also. So from any of your past experiences or knowledge, do any of you guys no when (approx) the trout start to enter the river?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Hello Flyfishguy..
Great river a bit later...towards the warmer weather that arrives in a few weeks...thru' early June...there are some Steelhead Spawning on the Gravel Bars close to the lake and up towards the Waterfalls....the big Cutties will begin to enter the river after the first good warm rain in March and continue until as late as Mid ...some of these fish will reach 8 lbs and are often mistaken for Steelhead by lookers on. With so little Minnow action and the lack of Insect life in that River the food sources really don't mean a lot...my best days have actually been on Dry Flies....from a good distance away...what I have noticed about this population of Cutthroat Trout is that the gin clear water gives them lots of protection ..so sneaking up on them is the deal...deep pools will hold good numbers of Territorial Fish so the slightest disturbance from up River is noticed...long clear leaders and natural presentations is paramount...if you are lucky enough to fish this jewell on a day when the water is a bit coloured your chances are much better.
Have Fun
C

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi! Am new on here and hoped it was ok to resurrect this thread? Have fished the Taylor a few times in the summer on the way to and from Tofino and managed to hook into a couple of decent rainbows swinging small Woolly Buggers and is a beautiful stream with some pretty extreme water fluctuations in the spring. Am planning a trip over for a couple of days to target the spring cutthroat and was wondering in anyone had any advice to offer? I have a 5/6 TFO 9' with a floating line and an intermediate sinking line and a TFO 8wt with a Rio versitip and was wondering which setup to take? Given that the fish are spooky when the water is gin clear should I be looking at upstream dry fly fishing and or nymphing or will swinging leach or sculpin patterns work too? Given that the fish are heading up there to spawn are you relying on a territorial or feeding bite or both? Any advise on patterns or timing?
Many Thanks,
Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts