BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who here tape thier rods together and who don't
I don't really tape unless i am using longer belly lines or doing alot of casts like snake roll or single spey.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I tape. I once snapped off a 5 wt Fenwick that worked it's way loose after a day's fishing, so I know it can happen. Doesn't hurt the rod, takes a couple of extra seconds and makes me feel better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, after my first experience out I can tell you from now on I will be taping everything before I cast :(

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
yes and no

I used to tape my two handers.
Haven't the last few times out. It is a pain in the keister for this basically lazy guy. I just check every so often as I am hacking away pretending to cast.
I always keep a roll of tape in the back of my vest just in case I am really cranking them out there,( ya right ), and it seems to be working loose.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My problem is, when Iam really getting involved in fishing my two-hander, it is too easy to forget to check the rod. I was having a good day last year, pulling in chum and suddenly, I'm tossing the top two sections of my rod out after my sink tip. No harm to the rod, only slight mess in the waders.:) :) Tape up as you add each section, and don't put on the reel until you have taped. Only takes 10 seconds per joint.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Tape and Wax

:rolleyes: Tapeing the joints of your rods is a good thing...if you look at all the great casters they make it a habit to tape and Wax...I have found that if I am doing a lot of traditional casts then I need to tape...especially considering all the different stresses and movements impacting the rod and joints even from the current heat or cold conditions. Do Wax your rod joints , it also makes a difference. Now the real question is..what's better, to tape from the top of the joint down or from the bottom up?;)
Another thing I have found is that for the softer,more traditional action rods it's a given: Tape! For we fly swingers that fish the smaller West Coast Rivers with 10 1/2 to 13 foot rods tapeing is less of an issue...the casts are usually short crisp movements without too much stress. I never tape my Switch rods but usually I am moving alot and check regularly,or dismantle to bushwack!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts