BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i know this may sound silly... BUT What IF there was a cross breed of a steelhead and coastal cutthroat that was ocean run... Just something i've been thinking about. Kind of like a Sea run cut-bow.

I think that would be sweet. Just my :2cents:

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I'm sure they are out there - the cut-bow is reputed to be found in many Island streams. The only questions is whether the "bow" genetics come from steelhead or resident rainbows.

Mind you, I've been told that there are some very large sea-run cutties (~5lb) out there that rival small steelies, but they are very few and far between.

One day when I have the time set aside, I'd like to find some way to targeting steelies in estuaries. I figure that would be the ultimate battle. Not much fresher than that!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would probably have to wait for a good solid week of rain and wait at the river mouths. I've heard of people hooking them, but not much success in landing. I couldnt even imagine that. That steelhead has anywhere to run.

I'm not saying steelhead aren't beautiful, but with a coastal cutties spots all the way down the body and that big orange slash... oh my "jaw drops"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts