BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a cabin on nelson island, and spend as many weekends fishing quarry lake in the spring, summer and fall as humanly possible. The cutthroat are trophies ranging from 8 - 23 inches (largest I have caught). 99% of the fish caught have been trolling a fast sink line with various wholly buggers and leeches. Last year in the fall I was teaching a friend to cast when all of the sudden I started hitting 12 incher's one after the other casting and peeling off the shoals.

We call it the pro lake, very hit or miss. I have figured out where they feed and generally catch fish. I would like to expand my techniques from just trolling a wet line from a canoe. Can you indicator fish for cutthroat? can you dry fly productively? I was told by a shop owner that chronomids and nymphs aren't effective on sunshine coast lakes. Just curious in general to know the different ways people fly fish native cutthroat on sunshine coast lakes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a cabin on nelson island, and spend as many weekends fishing quarry lake in the spring, summer and fall as humanly possible. The cutthroat are trophies ranging from 8 - 23 inches (largest I have caught). 99% of the fish caught have been trolling a fast sink line with various wholly buggers and leeches. Last year in the fall I was teaching a friend to cast when all of the sudden I started hitting 12 incher's one after the other casting and peeling off the shoals.

We call it the pro lake, very hit or miss. I have figured out where they feed and generally catch fish. I would like to expand my techniques from just trolling a wet line from a canoe. Can you indicator fish for cutthroat? can you dry fly productively? I was told by a shop owner that chronomids and nymphs aren't effective on sunshine coast lakes. Just curious in general to know the different ways people fly fish native cutthroat on sunshine coast lakes.

I know someone who catches fish on Chironomids and I regularly use damsel fly and dragon nymphs with high success rates. Not too sure why that guy at the shop told you that. Anyways every lake is a little different but I would experiment with some different patterns. I fish from a float tube a lot, and usually with a medium full sink line or sink tip. Hand strip retrieves. I like to fish streamers and wet flies, but have also used a floating line with dry flies and had an absolute blast on some of our local lakes. Its all about what the fish are eating and when.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Depends alot on the lake. Some sunshine coast lakes are pretty barren of insect life. There are a couple I fish that are riddled with insect life. Generally the more a lake flushes the less bug life. I would spend some time poking around the lake and looking for insect life. Nothing wrong with trying your expand your skills by giving something new a go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey guys, Just wondering how everyone else is doing out there on the coast? The lakes have really come alive the last couple weeks. Mcneil and Carlson have been very productive for me the last few times I have made it out. Unfortunately I've been working on the lower mainland so havent been getting as much time on the water as I would like. Anyone else catching some fish?

Plant Cloud Sky Natural environment Tree Vertebrate Organism Gesture Wood People in nature

I love hiking into lakes. Here is an underwater shot of a little cuttie, caught on a deer hair caddis dry fly.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I miss fly fishing those back country lakes .. < jealous > ... I'm very much a dry flyer ...I can't get enough of it ..

Thanks for posting ,,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you indicator fish for cutthroat? can you dry fly productively? I was told by a shop owner that chronomids and nymphs aren't effective on sunshine coast lakes. Just curious in general to know the different ways people fly fish native cutthroat on sunshine coast lakes.

Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't been to a lake on the southern sunshine coast that doesn't have chironomids hatching at one time or another. Even the very large lakes (Sakinaw, Ruby @ 400+') have chironi hatches right through winter. Chironomids are definitely viable here as well as dry flies in the warmer months when you see the cutthroat hitting the surface, which is often.

SSCFF - Lakes are on fire right now... I just picked up a pontoon, so I'll be on the lakes instead of the salt now... PM me next time your up :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent! I'm heading to Quarry lake this weekend. Ill post a couple of pics if it is productive. It usually is so I am excited to try some new techniques.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chironies hatching pretty heavy this morning in the Pender area when the sun touched the water, the small no-see'em (lolsp?) type. Didn't get any on chironies, but got half a dozen on a stickleback pattern. Lots of lamprey wounds still, one right to the pink flesh.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey guys. I just wanted to share this with you, I caught a big one today. I didn't weigh it but it's the heaviest cuttie Ive caught yet. Wonderful fight too, leaped clear out of the water twice. Didn't take it out of the water so my picture isn't the greatest but here it is. Hope everyone else is out there catching fish!

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
how has your black ant season going ? fishing has been slow now that they are full of ants and sitting on the bottom digesting them for the next week , still lots of small fish around and the black ant is still the best dry to fish here for now .

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hey guys. I just wanted to share this with you, I caught a big one today. I didn't weigh it but it's the heaviest cuttie Ive caught yet. Wonderful fight too, leaped clear out of the water twice. Didn't take it out of the water so my picture isn't the greatest but here it is. Hope everyone else is out there catching fish!
Damned, that thing is a monster. Good on you for giving up the hero shot in favour of the fishes health:cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks Ed! And Patches, I haven't been lucky enough to make it out on the water during an ant hatch yet. Only getting to fish about once a week now and last week I went sea run beach fishing for the first time. Will probably hit the lake next time I'm off though. I'll let you guys know if anything eventful happens.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
its on !!!! the 2015 season has been kicked of with a strong kokanee run of some fairly large kokanee.... ( 5 inches, large for here) spawning at every creek mouth and inlet outlet of every lake in the area . This means of course that large cutts have emerged from the depth and followed the little salmon on there migration rout to the spawning grounds , and now its time for most big cutts to put on the fat that will carry them not just through the winter but also the spawning season witch for a few starts now and will continue throughout the winter and into the spring . large burgundy flys 4 inches in length are on the menu. we had some fish 3 -5 lbs the last few days and seen some larger fish with my fly in there mouths , still water house opens in the next month or so and will now have 3 rooms ,flat screen, tying room , and more . will keep you posted ,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm. Just found this great thread. May have found a reason to use the family cabin in Tuwanek. Salt is better where I am on the Island but I remember when Richardson was driveable and had some good days on the Powell lakes chain.

With a re-kindled interest in the fly ..... Let's see Powell River for a few days, Madeira Park for the Pender area lakes and then lower coast from the cabin.

What a grand place to live where you can forget a good fishery because there are so many and time is so short.

Patches, please do keep us posted on still water house opening.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't been out on the freshwater much this year, hoping to in the next while tho. These rains are much needed, I have my eye on the river atm.

Bows Up - Richardson is still driveable, just need a decent 4x4 for 1 section. Havent been up this year, went last fall in my old stock 4Runnner.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts