• Dry Fly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wet Fly

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Love these fly swaps we do and was thinking about raising the bar>>I know it is at times dangerous to think too much but here goes!

A Summer Run Steelhead Fly contest; and this is going to put your tying skills to the test. All flies presented will be put into a special Fly Box and displayed in our special behind glass fly and reel case at Nile Creek Fly Shop.

Here's the layout - 2 flies

• One of which has to be a dry/floating pattern,tied on a #6 or larger Salmon/Steelhead hook,
  • Two, a wet fly, can be a classic, Intruder, dressed....your choice. If you tie a tube fly make sure you attach a good quality hook.

The winner will get their weight size in a Snowbee 2D Multi-Tip Spey Line valued at $180. All entries must be posted on this thread and voted on by June15th...the flies have to be sent to:

Nile Creek Fly Shop
PO Box 190
6590 West Island Highway
Bowser B.C.
V0R 1G0

Once we receive these flies we will place them in a great Wheatley Fly Box and display them..make sure you identify yourself and fly name. Should the winner not use a 2 Handed Fly Rod, we will adjust the line accordingly. Once we have participants flies posted we will get a poll up and running... Now, what to tie?

Also, like all fly swaps you need to upload your pictures in the Summer Run Steelhead Fly Contest Gallery.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is this still a fly swap or is it just the competition? I'm not the greatest tier yet but I'd like to give this a shot either way.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Is this still a fly swap or is it just the competition? I'm not the greatest tier yet but I'd like to give this a shot either way.
Yes, its a competition! :) Yes, defiantly give it a shot, we encourage all to enter, no matter what your skill level is! Its a good way to get some constructive pointers from season veterans to help speed up that learning curve!! Happy tying!!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't wait too long before you post....it will be great for all to see what is being tied...Dry fly for Summer runs begin in about a month here on the Island...will get my 2 flies up this week-end if all goes well...and my flies don't count more than perhaps inspiration for you budding stars...new ideas and inspiration comes from effort...
lets all get on board here and see where we can go...there are some very serious tiers here that will show us all some great stuff

C

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Eventhough I haven't actually fished for Steelies (I'm a novice flyfisherman after all), having seen some of the flies like the intruder and popsicle, I have a couple of ideas for a good flies that I'll be submitting.

Just need to get to the fly shop tomorrow to get some salmon hooks.

Can you tie a dry on a TMC 7999?

·
Registered
350 Posts
VERY COOL GUYS. I will get on it on my next days off. Now the tuff part, to decide what to tie up.
Thanx for putting this on SALAR.

Brian

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
It's 11pm on a Friday night and I'm tying flies for a fish that doesn't even frequent the waters near me...

... I have caught the fly tying bug.

I'll upload a picture of the wet fly I've tied tomorrow. Can't find the camera tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
How long do we have to get our submissions in? I was going to tie up a couple this weekend and perhaps drop by the shop next week since I'm still unemployed...

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Steve Zissou's Submissions

As promised, here are my submissions.

Remember that these LITERALLY are my first steelhead/salmon flies ever tied, and I've only been tying since January. So, please be gentle with any criticism.

Dry Fly - Dickson's Crystal Caddis

Hook: Daiichi 2421 Size 6
Thread: 6/0 Red
Body: Orange UNI-Stretch
Rib: Orange/Rootbeer Crystal Flash (x4)
Wing: Red Grizzly Hackle Tips w/Orange Crystal Flash (x12)
Legs: Spun Deer Hair Tips
Thorax/Head: Spun Deer Hair

Wet Fly - The Zissou (I only gave this fly this name because it's my own creation taking from Phil Rowley's popsicle, an intruder, and an Aleutian queen, if you think that it resembles another pattern already in use, please let me know so I can change the name on here)

Hook: Dai-Riki 899 Size 4
Thread: 6/0 Red
Body: Silver Mylar
Wing: Purple, Blue and Pink Marabou w/Pearlescent Flashabou
Head: Medium Gold Tungsten Dumbbell Eyes
"Collar": Red Grizzly Hackle

Again, remember that I'm a novice at fly tying, these are my first steelhead flies (really, these are both first attempts), and I haven't even fished Steelies before. Be nice!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zissou..Very impressive indeed...now we are cooking! Nice flies...
Btree,,we need to have the flies up onto the site so we can put in a Poll for the votes....June 15th is the cut off date..
C

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've always wondered what makes a 'summer' steelhead pattern different from flys used for winter run fish? Just trying to get some idea of what to tie. I have my dry fly in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you look at the old timers Summer Run fly boxes you will see more BUGGY and Black looking flies...rubber legs,large Beetle type shell backs,Big Shrimp patterns and so on...One of my favorite Summer Run flies is a double beaded tan Stone Fly #6...often referred to as "Steelhead Candy"..
C

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Here are my two submissions: Haig-Brown's Steelhead Bee and the Lady Peacock.

[/url][/IMG]

The Lady Peacock is an adaptation from the Lady Caroline.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I didn't see this Swap in the Gallery's upload section. Once it's there I'll upload my flies to the gallery.
Its there, I created it the day this contest was started. :)

[EDIT] OOPs, my bad. after posting the above I went into the settings of that album and noticed the permissions were wrong. :eek: Should be visible now.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are great looking flies everyone...man,I am glad we are doing this...I am going Steelhead fishing tomorrow and will use this fly I am about to post...it is a dry fly and a big One but this will get attention....we are heading to a very remote West Coast River where the water is super Clear and there are some fresh Winter fish in the system...the big males just came in to terrorize the smaller boys !Opps can't upload it...files full...later
C

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here goes.... it works...this fly is sweet and never sinks...
Elk hair,2 sided foam body,Natural brown Saddle hackle,spotted Rubber legs a bit of Polar Bear dubbing..Voila
wanted to tie this on a low water Partridge Salmon hook but a Salmon hook in this case will do..and it definitely moves lots of water!

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
after posting the above I went into the settings of that album and noticed the permissions were wrong. :eek: Should be visible now.
Thanks, chief.

I've uploaded my photos to the gallery now.

I'll hopefully have my flies in the mail this week sometime, Salar. I'll PM you once they're on their way so you know to look for them.

·
powell riverite
383 Posts
here's my submission for the dry fly part of things, it a variation of a waller walker, just minus the moose hair underwing so it doesnt ride quite as high

i have yet to dream up what wet fly im going to put it, but i will decide soon

1 - 20 of 39 Posts