BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used them before but didn't really like them but maybe that's cuz I didn't use it enough to get used to it.
Some situations they'd be an asset (less drag on your out going line) other situations (deeper wading) they'd be a bit of a hinderance.
Just looking for some opinions before I go borrow one for an upcoming trip.
(don't want to pack what I don't need)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would say it would be beneficial if: Youre in the ocean and there is significant wave action, or, fishing sink line in a river. Both scenarios I find it super annoying as you get knots or meet resistance when you try to gather your line up and cast it back out.
I tried to make one last year...it was much too small. The bigger the better, otherwise it's like trying to thread a needle to get youre line into the darn thing and to keep it there.
B

·
Registered
383 Posts
Closest I come to this is the bow of my Hyde Drift boat, which has an area to catch and hold line while stripping. Works really well, however I have never bothered with a stripping basket otherwise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got a William-Joseph wading belt with a retractable stripping basket. There are pros and cons.

As mentioned above, baskets can be useful when standing in moving water. It also helps on surfaces with a lot of snags (rocks, ground cover, etc) or if you are moving from point to point. Even in still water it is useful, since you generally don't need as many false casts to lift the line off of the water.

The downside is that the line can tangle as it is lifted out of the basket on your cast. You can reduce this by stretching your line to minimize the curls. Larger stripping baskets help as well. I've seen some baskets that have pegs sticking up from the bottom which help to keep tangles from forming on the cast.

Varying your stripping style can also help lay the line in the basket more neatly.

The William-Joseph belt is handy since you can retract the basket, but on the downside the basket is a touch smaller than I'd like.

If you want to give one a try, here are some links on making a cheap one yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypqmwLQbZU
http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/flyfishing/howto/strippingbasket/strippingbasket.htm

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I went to the dollar store and got a rectangular basket, then got some stick on velcro and some elastic strap, and voila - a stripping basket under 10 bucks. As has been noted above - wave action and sinking lines are the major concerns for me.

·
Whitewater Cowboy
119 Posts
I don't have a need for one on the river, but, it's rare on a river to be casting a 100' of line. Fishing from my boat or on the beach, I always utilize a stripping basket of some sort. A rubber maid used for transporting things to the boat doubles as a container for the line so it doesn't blow around, catch on items, get stepped on, etc. Much like btree, I have a home-made basket from a rectangular container with about 7 'finger's fashioned from the plastic line used as a cutter on grass trimmers/edgers. I cut them about 7" long, melt the ends to create a ball and fold them in half, then pushing the 'loops through small holes drilled in the bottom of the container and epoxy them in place. Keeps the line from blowing around or sloshing around with a wave (don't forget drain-holes) and dramatically reduces tangles. You'll really love it when the coho start crashing baitfish 100m down the beach and you can run down immediately, without worrying about 100' of flyline in your hand... at your feet... 50 yards down tide with seaweed wrapped around it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
as long as you're not wading to a depth that will partly submerge the basket, they're great. It has made a huge difference at the beach for me, especially where there is seaweed everywhere...thats my opinion but I do know when I dont take it, I usually ending up wishing I'd brought it, especially on rivers where you can't wade out from the shore. it has advantages for any length of line but do definitely get in the way a bit and can be a pain in the a$$ if the line in the basket gets tangled
Len

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am fashioning a homemade basket tonight. I'll be test driving it tomorrow. Thanks for posting the links EricNotTheRed, they confirmed how I thought I'd go about making my basket. From the beach fishing I have done so far I feel that a stripping basket would be highly beneficial. It would make moving down the beach a little easier and I can be ready to fire a decent cast towards rolling fish. Thanks for the help people!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I haven't been able to get out like I thought I was going to be able to. I'll update when I give my basket a good field test. I'm pretty happy with how it has tuned out so far and I can't complain about the price I paid for it. All of $6 for all the materials I used.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Im going to make one myself as I have tried one before and love it!

If your wading from shore out to your waist or higher, lots of veggies below you that love to grab onto your line, and, I fish a slow sink tip almost solely, so being able to keep my line off the bottom, out of the weeds and able to keep my line from going back to shore with the waves is a great help. Just my 2cents

Clayton

·
Registered
140 Posts
FYI.

As I mentioned before, I have a William-Joseph stripping belt/basket. One complaint has been that I often get tangles when I cast.

On a trip to the Thompson last week, I decided to adapt one of the ideas that I posted to create a "floor" for the basket with fingers sticking up. I used a semi-rigid piece of plastic from a binder-cover and tie straps cut off to about 3".

I was very pleased with the results. It drastically reduced the number of tangles I got. In fact, I got only a couple of tangles in three days of solid shore fishing. I was able to move easily along the very rocky banks without having to worry about trailing line getting caught. Casting while standing in the water required few false casts since I didn't need to lift the trailing line out of the water.

My only real complaint about my stripping basket before was the prevalence of tangles, so I'd have no hesitation to recommend a setup like this.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, thanks for the links ETR.
Made mine with a $3.00 basket from the Walmart, 6 zap straps (had them but they're about 10 cents each at the hardware store) I trimmed them to about 2 1/2 inches, and some 5 min. epoxy ( had that laying around as well) that I put around the base of the ties so that it would be smooth and less likely to snag on. I also drilled a dozen or so holes for drainage, cut a couple slits in the side for my wading belt to slip through and it worked well.
I am going to change it up a bit; perhaps by affixing something like the bottom 2 - 3 inches of torpedo shaped floats over the zap straps.
But it works well enough for now till I figure out exactly what I'll use (or find enough discarded floats along the river banks).

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hey guys, some great information in this thread, so I thought I would add a bit. I myself over the years, have tried many different striping baskets and never really found one that I enjoyed fishing with. I found them always in the way, to bulky, etc, etc. About three years ago, I had a client up on the Upper Pitt River, who is now a good friend residing in Denmark, who had this striping basket like I have never seen before, small made of plastic with little silicone spikes sticking out of it. When I first saw I was like, OMG what is that contraption, to where Kim said, try it out you will like it. So, I did and what you know, that is one slick little unit. Works like none I have ever used and he was nice enough to give it to me. :) I have never seen another like it and it came from a shop in Denmark, here is the picture.

Terrestrial plant Art Natural material Wood Metal

·
Registered
513 Posts
I finally gave my basket the full test it deserved this weekend, and I have to say I am so glad I made it. The biggest difference I noticed was in my casting. I didn't have to make those two extra false casts to get my line out of the water before I finished my cast. I could pull back with one or two false casts and launch my line with ease. I think it opened up about 10 extra feet of casting distance for me, but didn't compare it to without the basket so I'm not sure, but it felt like I was out distancing most others I saw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts