BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to fly fishing and i am wondering if anyone could help with strike indicators. My first question is what ones do you use?? I've been told to use a corky and a tootpick but what about those quick release ones? Next question is how do you cast with indicators?? i found that they add a lot of a weight and resistance and that i always tangle and that i cant fully lay out my line. My last question is if you use a long leader (for example 15-20 feet) how do you get the indicator off so you can land the fish?? i know that those are alot questions but i would really appricate any help.

THanks
fisher4life

·
Registered
46 Posts
well i can help with one of your questions for sure. The best way to cast a long leader and indicator combo is to open up your casting loop. You can do this by stopping your cast at 9 and 3 (using a clock as reference) instead of 10 and 2.

·
Registered
45 Posts
F4L:

I have used those quick release strike indicators...and there's a few things I don't like about them. 1) The foam portion tends to crack at the thinnest part of the indicator where you push the plastic plug through. 2) It takes a little bit of experimentation to get just the right tension on the plastic plug so that the indicator releases when the fish strikes. If the foam indicator is cracked, good luck trying to keep tension on the plug (I'm thinking about putting a thin piece of duct tape to repair mine. 3) They're pricey. 4) If you break of your fly and the indicator has released, you lose the plastic plug...with a regular indicator, you just replace the toothpick.

When you're using a regular indicator and you're fishing with a buddy, your friend can release your indicator for you. Don't jam the toothpick in too tightly, as it will swell when wet anyway. This makes it easier to pop the toothpick in a hurry. When fishing by myself, I just wait a little longer until the fish tires a little, then put my rod down and while hanging on to the top section I pop off the toothpick. I also fish from a pram and have a longer handled net.

Tim has already explained about casting it. Just open up your loops a little more than usual. Chironamid or micro leech indicator fishing usually doesn't require a lot of distance anyway. Good luck!

Stone

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, im still wondering if you guys just use those plain old corkies with tootpicks or if you go and buy some "real" manufactured indicators? i guess those quick release ones are a bit over rated eh. Has anyone tried those "fish pimps" they look to be better then a corky and toothpick setup?
Thanks again for any more advice.

fisher4life

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok while we are on the topic of indicators, I bought a couple of the quick release type last year, and as a novice flyfisher I found them a bit awkward and switched to a small corkie and toothpick and found it to work just fine....My question is, when you are fishing water that is interupted by wind/wave action what size should you use so you still have a visual attachment to the indicator?.....Ortho

F

·
0 Posts
fishortho Posted: Monday 17th of April 2006 10
My question is, when you are fishing water that is interupted by wind/wave action what size should you use so you still have a visual attachment to the indicator?.....Ortho
On choppy waters you can opt for larger corkys or indicators...They tend to be a bit bigger than your standard sized corkey.. Most shops sell them in different sizes, so you just have to pick what size you think your eyes can handle. Personally I find it's the color more than anything. I usually go with orange or red in unsettled water conditions...Way easier to spot.

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great points guys. One thing though. I am a big fan of the quick release indicators. After a while you figure out just how tight to put them on. I also use bobber stoppers(like frog hair indicator stoppers) about two feet above my fly to keep from losing the plastic insert if I bust off a fish. I also found that M&Y has the quick release indicators for less money when you buy them in singles as opposed to packaged.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im curious to know how many of you prefer to fish chironomids without the use of indicators? I have heard that it is a better way to fish. What are the pros and cons of fishing chironomids with or without indicators?

fisher4life

·
Registered
46 Posts
i heard of a putty that you put on your line thats flourescent but i havent seen any in the local tackle shops.its supposed to work really well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
fisher4life said:
Im curious to know how many of you prefer to fish chironomids without the use of indicators? I have heard that it is a better way to fish. What are the pros and cons of fishing chironomids with or without indicators?

fisher4life
It's harder to stay in a precise zone (depth-wise) without an indicator but the strikes can be savage & as Brian Chan put it in one of his videos...the fish almost pull the rod out of your hand. :shock:

·
Registered
54 Posts
darcycote said:
i heard of a putty that you put on your line thats flourescent but i havent seen any in the local tackle shops.its supposed to work really well.
Hey darcycote.
I think you're referring to Loon Biostrike Indicator. I know Michael & Youngs has some.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone used fish pimps? are they better then corkies? i dont want to use the quick release ones but i also wouldnt mind someting more convenient then the toothpick setup. Just trying to think of some ideas so would like to hear opinions

fisher4life

M

·
0 Posts
just a thought on indicator plugs....when you tie your tippet to your leader...leave the tag ends about 1/4 inch each....should stop yer plug from disappearin' into the briney.....just a method I use....your milage could vary... 8)

mojo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts