BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I have built quite a few rods in my day.The one thing that always gets me is getting my guides perfectly straight.
Sighting down the blank is the way I do it.
Anybody out there have a secret, or have I just been doing it the hard way.
I kinda learned this in a vaccum.
A little to the left, no right.Back just a little.......

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
That's the way I do it too. Place the guides on their mark and on the top of the rod, wrap each foot with a piece of 1/4" adhesive tape (I use artist's tape) then I sight down the rod and adjust the guides with a little pressure with my thumb nail on the foot of the guide. Once the wraps are on, I check again and if need be I can usually adjust them again with my thumbnail.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
straight as a dogs leg

Thanks prof.
That's pretty much what I do.
It can be a son of a beep if the blank has a wow or twist in it that doesn't suit the spine though.I have had One or two like that through the years.
Early loomis IM6 comes to mind.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yup, sighting down the blank is the best method I've found. Used a laser level once- had the beem directed right down the length of the rod in a vertical beem alignment so that the crown of the guide could be lined up with the beem. Didn't think it gave me any better results and it took longer so I scrapped it. I do find a desk lamp set at an oblique angle to the rod helps make the guides "pop" a bit for lining up. Also read in a building book that one should always sight from the tip guide to each successive guide individually, not just look straight down the line of all guides (make sense?) as doing the latter allows a small amount of 'creep' at each guide interval to sum up as a twist down the length of the rod. Sounds confusing but the book explained it well!

Merry Christmas!
Sparky

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
That's a good point Sparky. I always put the tip top on first and glue it in place, then I place and align the rest of the guides, using the tip and a mark on the butt end as my alignment points. I'm also finding as I get older the lighting is more of a factor, so the lamp trick will come in handy.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lighting

I agree with the prof.
Lighting is becoming more important as my eyes change with age.
Still don't need glasses,but who knows.
I also put the tip on first and mark the ferrule or wrap the bottom guide and sight through that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
guides in place

forget where i learned this but i hold guides in place with pieces if drinking straws. you can get varies diameters at D n D or other coffee shopes. of course it's for double foot.

hope it helps

paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts