BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size stinger hooks are your favorite.. and what kind do you like best?

G

·
stinger hooks

for the intruders i have been tying i like the gamakatsu stingers in size 1 and 2 for intruders on size 35mm and 25mm

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just wondering if someone can tell me how stinger hooks are tied in or if someone has a link to a web site showing the steps any help would be great.
Thanks
Bead Head

G

·
Just wondering if someone can tell me how stinger hooks are tied in or if someone has a link to a web site showing the steps any help would be great.
Thanks
Bead Head
This is the way I personally tie them, and so far have had no trouble with them. Although I'd be interested to hear how others go about it.
.For the tying shank I use a crappy hook I don't mine snipping later. In this case it's a 1/0 Mustad.

.I take a piece of 80 lb fire line and fold it in half. Then feed it through the eye of a #2 or #4 gammi.

.Once it's through then I fold the tag ends through the fire line, and pull snug to attatch the gammi.

.Now I tie in the fire line in starting at the eye of the hook wraping back snuggly, and then foward again. Ending with a whip finish at the eye.

.Then I use a thin coat of Zap a Gap to glue it all in.
Once it's dry I tie my fly, and then snip off the heel of the Mustad.

Finder;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Take 4 to 5 inches of braided line or backing. Double it over and tie an overhand knot at the end, making a 2-21/2" loop. Tie this loop on the top of your waddington shank, with the knot 1/4" back of the eye and the loop extending to the rear. Wrap the line onto the shank very securely (at this point I like to brush crazy glue over the shank for added security). Dress fly as recipe demands. Once the fly is complete, slip the loop through the eye of the stinger, then the body of the stinger through the loop. Adjust the size of loop according to the size of the fly.

G

·
Thanks for the help guys. Nows heres my second question how long should the stinger be? Or does it matter?
Thanks
Bead Head

You know I'm not sure there's a rule set in stone on how long it should be. I suppose as long as you want your fly to be. However keep in mind, depending on what you use, for the wire, floss ect., you don't want it to droop below the pattern.

Finder;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tie my stingers pretty much the same way as FF. I find the length of the stinger depends on the fly and individual preference. I do find that the stinger flies work very well for hook-ups. I also found that they tended to last longer as the fish do not have as much chance to chew up the body!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right now i am using gamakatsu hooks, but have been shown some Owner hooks i am going to check out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts