BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this beauty in Halifax last year and it's been my "go to" bobbin ever since.

They're sold under a myriad of different brand names and there are two different versions. One has a white ceramic tube and the other (pictured) has a pink ceramic tube. I was told the color difference relates to the "grit" of the tube; pink being the smoothest. I have no idea if this is true or not.

The one thing about this bobbin that struck me right away was the dedicated thumbrest and the rubber-like material it's made out of. Not once has my thumb become sweaty or cramped when using this bobbin and I can tie 20-30 flies using it before I have to take a break (usually an eyesight break since I started tying dry's, lol). It handles 8/0 thread with no breaks and for those of you who tie with 10/0 or even 12/0, this bobbin comes in a fine-tube as well, designed specifically for those sizes of thread..

Tension adjustment is the same as with any "standard" bobbin; spread the arms and keep trying until you get it right. The balls on the end of the arms are big enough that they can handle larger sized thread spools.

The best part of this bobbin is the price. It's value priced @ $8.00, making it perfectly suited for the beginner; in both function and cost.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The actual thumbrest is a u-shaped extension from the main arms, which is then covered in shrink tubing. I have a friend at work who's trying to make something similar for my Rite bobbin. We've gone through a couple of iterations and we're close...but not close enough.

I absolutely love this bobbin. I've got 3 of them now (2 standard and 1 fine)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I also own this exact bobbin and find it great overall. there is however one downside to it, the fact that it the arms kind of bend sideways slightly after you tie a couple flies with it and they stay that way !! this might happen because i tie rather tightly but who knows. It happened to mine after my third fly with it, now i just use it for tying on floss or other materials that i find easier to tie with a bobbin :cheers:

anyone else find these bobbins lose thier straightness??

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got over 100 flies tied with mine and never had a problem. The arms are very solid metal and I even have a hard time bending them to adjust the tension. Like I said in the review, these are made by different companies but they all look the same. Mine was branded by a company I've never heard of (name escapes me now but the package was blue with a cottage and sunrise motif).

·
Registered
271 Posts
hmmm that sounds like the SUNRISE brand logo to me but i could be wrong. The one i have is the sunrise one but i much rather prefer my Griffin or TMC bobbins. everyone has their own prefference i guess right :peace:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a similar looking bobbin, not sure of the name, and i used it about a half dozen times, then chucked it to the back of the cupboard! Should have returned it!

As the thread is held in place by round balls, they do not go into the holes of the thread roll and jam in place like a cone does. I found that the whole thing twisted until the arms coming from the balls were pressed against the thread. It happened quickly, locked the thread roll in place and resulted in me snapping thread several times.

I got mine when i started tying a while back- i got it in Army and Navy- i guess i should have known better! I do now at least! I'm sure similar designs in better quality will work much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts