BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Stainless steel hooks

863 views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Chumley 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where to get stainless steel hooks for saltwater fishing for a decent price? Just paid $13+ for 25 (size 6).... Ouch! :(

#2 ·
I know the mustad signature series stainless steel hooks are decent and have a good price point. I bought 25 for $8 (size 8) the other day. As to where to find them I'm not sure I can help you as I don't live in your area. Hope you can find what you are looking for!

#6 ·
THanks, I'll try both Wholesale sports, which I love for their selection (never thought about them for this, I admit) and Canadian Llamma Co. $13 is a bit steep! Thanks for the offer, 11th, I'm okay for supplies now, just looking for the future. I really try to buy locally, but when the prices are so high, I need to try and keep some money in my pocket, too!

#9 ·
I'm leaning away from the stainless hooks as they won't rot out and leaves a fish with a permanent piercing on a break-off which happens to us all. Regular hooks just require a little more attention to prevent corrosion, but, I find a careful rinse and dry followed by a shot of WD40 keeps things pretty well. I haven't used up all my stainless, but, getting there and won't purchase any further. Better to waste few flies than leave a poor fish swimming around with souvenir of our encounter. Tight lines!

#17 ·
I've had the smaller mustad signiture hooks bend on me while playing pinks. I use 10lb test tippet and the hooks tend to bend before the line breaks. I have only seen the problem in size 8 hooks, anyone else seen this with these hooks?
I've never had a Mustad hook bend on me (or any other brand), although I have had 2 or 3 Signature series 3906's break on me after pinching the barb (very rare). When fishing for pinks I tie all my patterns on a TMC 9394 hook.

#19 ·
I have had the Mustad classic 34007 in a #4 bend on Chums and the #8 bend a couple of times on Pinks. The worst hook for bending was the old Eagle Claw L1197N SS hook. Ten years ago I bought a pack of 25 #4 and tied up a bunch of Clousers for Cohos. Jeezuz, I lost a few fish on that damn hook bending. BTW, I haven't seen the hook for years as I think they're no longer made.

My favourite saltwater hook are made by Gamakatsu. They are a tin plated hook and will rust in the fish's mouth. The three models I use are SC15, SP11-3L3H, and the SS15. I have to order them from the states which is a head ache as there is no suppliers here, at least not that I'm aware of. I did try and source them about five years ago with no luck. Maybe I'll try again. I'd rather buy local for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.