BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a Spratley boat in the future, and would like everyones input that has one, or has had one as to what you thought of it or think of it.....I was told for fly-fishing the 2 best choices were the Fly-fisher ..which isn't manufactured anymore and The Spratley....any and all input is appreciated....I live in the Cariboo near williams Lake ...Thanx

·
Registered
442 Posts
i don't own one yet, but everyone i've talked to who does says they're the cat's ass. i really want the 10ft model. i believe T-N-T Marine here in Abbotsford carries them, but i'm not sure what their prices are like. dunno who carries them up your way. may be a good excuse for a road trip. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am not sure exactly who carries them up here...but will look into it...I know they are Manufactured down at the Coast so that's a bonus as well....and Yes definatley a reason for a road trip...Back to the old stomping grounds...

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are made in Langley by an engineering company that doesn't use the name Spratley. Sea Run Fly and Tackle out of Coquitlam had a pimped one out at the Sportsman Show a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they will outfit the thing anyway you want. their email is www.sea-run.com hope this helps

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just picked up my "new to me" pimped out 10' Spratley on Friday in CloverGulch and am looking forward to adding my personal pimping to it. Solid boats and I like the idea of not having to worry about leaky rivets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been researching the Spratley for over a year and the response from everyone I have spoken with is very positive. They are a little heavier than the fly fisher but thats what you get with a welded boat. I hope to have one soon but living in a condo makes storage an issue. I also like the 10' model.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I looked at a spratley when I was in the market last year and ended up getting a 1442 alumacraft, definitely dont count out alumacraft jon boats. I felt that the weight of the spratley and the cost pushed me to the alumacraft :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spratley Update

We have owned a 10ft Spratley for three seasons now....
- purchased from Kelly at Searun Fly and Tackle in Coquitlam.... He seems to sell the most units in the lower mainland
- I would recommend the following addons: a) - Scotty Anchor mounts b) wheels... didn't think I would need them but a friend bought a Spratley with the wheels and they work really well c) seat saddles.... originally just bolted seat quick release units to the bench seats but due to large seats(boat and mine) screws pulled out... went in and bought the saddles bolted quick release units to them and they are fabulous....d) also had the extra holes put in along the side to allow a 10 ft rod to sit along the inside of the boat.
- The Spratleys are a very good boat... very sturdy and stable to for two and a large calm dog...
- You will not regret your purchase...

Beep,beep
-

·
Registered
5 Posts
My buddy has the spratley in the 12' has only had it two seasons and the hull split down the center. Called spratley and they would not help him out so had a local guy weld it back together. Have heard from a few guys that they have had the same problem, just a thought.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My buddy has the spratley in the 12' has only had it two seasons and the hull split down the center. Called spratley and they would not help him out so had a local guy weld it back together. Have heard from a few guys that they have had the same problem, just a thought.
Seems kinda fishy....they look like solid boats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well there is something your buddy either was misinformed about or didn't go through the proper channels to get his repair done. I am getting a 10 foot extra wide spratley built this week and went to the company owner about this issue. He informed me about the previous issue with the cold weld in the centre of the boat that would crack after the bending process.. They have remedied and he will walk you through the triple welding process they use now to make sure this is never an issue again, as well as adding v channel for those guys who run into rocks repeatedly. Also he told me of many guys who smashed in the front of their boat which they repair for free and they do all repairs for free for life.. He welds the boats personally and guarantee's them. There was one gentleman who used an open trailer who split his hull by putting another boat on top of it, with all of the groups camping gear and no support under the boat... It split as well as ripped the tow hook off the boat as it was the only support holding all the vertical weight. He offered to fix the boat at one of his welders hourly cost instead of shop cost because of the blatant stupidity (my words not his), which was more than fair in my opinion. Was this your buddy? Haha..

common sense sadly isn't common enough.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just picked up a used 10. I think it's a little wider than the new ones. Either way, I'm super happy with it. Super stable and the bow doubles as a casting platform. Gonna get a good work out this weekend....hopefully the hull doesnt split :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got mine as well. I replaced the rear bench for dry storage across the back and had them add a high back pedestal seat, as well as enclosed storage for 2 batteries and a hidden beer cooler. Heading to the water today to set it all up.. Will post pics when its all ready!

Grats on your Purchase Bronjuan, and if you ever have a hull issue with it give me a shout and I will make sure you get taken care of.

Lostwages

1 - 20 of 44 Posts