BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using barbless gammies as trailing hooks and they have been causing my steelhead flies to spin as it swims in the current.

What hooks do people use as trailing hooks on their intruders and tube flies?

G

·
Hey ben, have you tried tying a small barrel swivel midway up the leader ?

I fish articulated tubeflies on occasion, and have found (mostly when fishing rivers), if I don't run a swivel at some point on the leader, i'll spend more time inventing new swears and untangling the articulated-tube-fly-line-tangle-of-death than anything.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
This is an area that is very common to me and the only time I have seen stingers spinning is when the hook is either too large or the material used to attach the Stinger is too stiff,causing the hook to basically be a Rutter,and that is not a good thing.
Keep the hook size down to a 4,6,or 8 will reduce that issue ..
C

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies and the links guys.

I have been using #4 and #2 gammies, but will downsize to #4 or #6. Found some straight eye circle hooks and short shank scud hooks, but will still have to get some smaller hooks more in the 6 to 8 range. With my intruders that are not tubes, my stinger material is 17lb or 14lb mono which is quite stiff.

Any way, I'll mess about with some smaller hooks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.