BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm thinking the time is right to jump on the two-handed band wagon. But there seems to be a bewildering selection of rods, lines, etc. What would be the best book that covers all aspects of spey equipment and technique? What would be the best on-line spey resource?

Dinsdale

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
There are two real good books in my opinion, Spey Casting By Simon Gawesworth and the new Dec Hogan book, A Passion For Steelhead. Goods reads, every new spey caster will benifat huge from both. There are also some great DVD's out there, The new Rio, Modern Spey Casting and the Modern Spey Casting and More by Dec Hogan. I just got the A-Z Spey casting DVD but havent looked at it yet, I was told it was also very good! Have fun :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
another thing to do is attend a spey clave(there should be some coming up in the next couple months or so) where u can test out alot of different rods from different companies and all the lines to go with it. They also have some demos and some free casting lessons.

Learning to cast can be difficult reading books or watching dvd's untill you at least get to learn the fundimentals...so a good casting instructor might be a way to go and can shorten your learning curve by a mile.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Second that on Rick on the Dec Hogan DVD....whatever he did in that DVD, just hit the nail on the head for me. After watching his instruction method and way of describing the cast, everything clicked for me.

The new Rio 3DVD set is also very good. Books just don't do the same thing for me as seeing it done. You can show me something once maybe twice and I have usually got it down. But I can read things over and over on casting and nothing nails it like watching it done.

Cheers

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bought the Dec Hogan video last week and i was informed and totally entertained. His video has pratical application where he show the casts as well as using them in real fishing situations.
I can't say that about most of the videos out there.
I find most of them dry and boring to watch

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks to Bergler I have been able to watch, "spey-to-Z", "Rio 1,2,3" And "Dec hogans" video. They were great to see the different cast and their aplication. But like others have said, Dec's videos was a very practical application video.

Mind you having a whole day of lessons and tips from a guy like Bergler is worth more than any video your gonna see :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts