BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I know for you guys this is old hat, but yesterday I had the pleasure of spending the day with Bergler hunting cutties on the Fraser and Harrison. Once decided to call it done for the hunt, he was good enough to inform me that he had brought along a couple two handers, just in case we had a few minutes to try them out.

Well let me tell you, there is no quicker way to take the cockyness out of a single hander flyman, than by giving him a 14ft two hander. Seems all this time I've been cheating on my roll casts and just plain powering them out. Which was possible with the smaller 11'6" loop green line, but when I chucked the Flylogic 14ft I had to really slow it down and remember what proper timing was. I must say that I took any grace right out of the art of casting a two-hander, kinda like a gorilla trying to waltz :)

I never have been good a letting the rod do the work, I always seem to try and control it just a bit too much. But what I will say is man when you lay that line out right, you just know it. From the back cast to the forward cast it just lays itself out. And all I was doing was simple roll casts, trying to get a feel for forming that nice D-loop.

I do have one question though, is it normal to now find yourself daydreaming about how to swing the rod through a perfect cast? I mean I must have spent 2 hrs this afternoon just drifting off thinking about set-ups and how I should carry my arms and the rod back, and up to that perfect peak then a swift toss as that line just rolls itself out, and to see that fly just lay down across a sunlit river.....I mean is this a bad sign?

Oh wait I almost forgot the bad part, so apparently you are also supposed to wrap the ferrels to ensure that the rod doesn't slowly work itself out and when in the motion of a cast put undue pressure on the outer most part of the ferrel. This will make a sharp crack type noise and split the epoxy. Also this experience can be made worse by knowing that the rod that this has just happened to is your friends real pretty perfect condition loop green line. Seriously man I have never felt so bad, sorry Bergler :( I guess you can use my trailer this week ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rookiespey,

The thing is now is I find myself putting others toys up for sale so I can afford a nice set-up.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
oh!oh!

Well,
Now you've done it....:) it might be time to go and see a "physch". There are some very nice set-ups out there and before you choose be sure to do your homework. Too many casters have too many rods and lines looking for that "perfect" match,yet only fish their best choice. Be prepared to spend a few $$ on a good set-up.
I taught a fellow last winter to properly cast after he had went to several "claves" for ideas...went out and bought a 15'Loomis ,windcutter tip system and nice reel. He ended up hurting his arm and ego almost permanently. However, I set him up with an easy casting line(floating) Hardy Mach 2 and after 3 sessions had him waiting for the line to unfold correctly. That was a win! Tip fishing comes by itself.By the way,he now has a 13'Greys M2 and a 12'7" Beulah 7/8 wt. that he fishes almost exclusively. The Flylogic rod is a real cannon and definitely well designed by Dec Hogan ,for his style of casting.
If you watch my posts over the next few weeks you will see some "rods" going up for sale...that is because I have finally found the 14' rod I like the best...the Snowbee 1409 -4 pc rod (Xmas Present to me) is a wondeful rod for these high waters "big rivers".
Good Luck
C

·
Registered
12 Posts
C-

I highly doubt the rod and set up caused him to hurt his arm...you surely are not implying that?

Jamie,

A skilled caster can cast anything reasonably matched...a novice requires a more user friendly or 'forgiving' outfit...everybody wants the magic bullet but misses the need to understand the dynamics first, the technique second, and then apply it to whatever rod handed to them...short stiff rods require quick compact strokes, something lost on rookies...longer rods slow the stroke down, softer rods load smoother and more noticably...add in new over-weight short tapered lines and load is like a slap in the face...the shorter the head, the shorter the back stroke, stop and D-loop formation, longer headed lines need a larger D-loop, longer wait for it to form...etc.etc...

The 'brand' means nothing to me, its the specific design of the model, matching of the line to its length, etc.

I'm absolutely certain a experienced caster can take the poor fellows 15 ft Loomis and line and toss the whole bloody rig...make him cry...ask himself what's wrong with me? etc...provided the line matches the rod...hell, even if it doesn't...It was an old Mike Maxwell theme (RIP) to blame the rod.

Spey casting requires a hell of a lot more thought prior to simply picking it up and waving it around...imo

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry phearless, The big guy has threatened me with death of a thousand hooks if I give up his little special spots.

However I am gonna have to get a set-up for myself, bribery goes along way with me ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.