BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for new winter steelheading river this year and more and more i am considering looking down south of the border like the skagit/sauk... only thing is i haven't a clue when the season starts let alone where abouts on the river to start.
Anyone out there fish these rivers... any info would be much appreciated!

thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
skagit

I'm in your boat Eric.
A little digging and we should be o.k.
Check out those Amato steelhead river series.I think there is one on the Skagit.
It would be nice to fish a couple of those rivers I have been reading about for 20+ years.

G

·
After doing a bit of reading, the river's across the line have peaked my interest as well. Another good bet outside of searching on line would be to choose a system and call the closest fly shop for a little info.

Finder;)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
fishin

Perhaps a FFBC trip down south would be in order.
I have a drift boat that could be used in pairs.
Two for the first drift,swap off and then pick up and back to the first vehicle.
Works great and no shuttle to pay for. And everybody gets some time in the boat and on the oars.
Oh by the way, it is a blast.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure if its ok to post a link to another web site but if you want up to date info on the rivers to the south check out Dennis Dicksons site. He updates his reports every Sunday and has great articles on fishing the rivers north of Seattle. I used to fish down there a lot and have drifted the Sauk and jetted the Skagit numerous times. Both are very fishable without a boat as the road runs close to the rivers. On the Sauk fish from the Suiattle bridge to the next bridge down. On the Skagit anywhere from the Baker River up to Rockport is nice. Definetly check out Amatos river series on these rivers as it will tell you everything you need to know. If you cannot find it I have a copy I can lend out.

Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
This sounds interesting, I have also read and seen pics on this river...a FFBC trip down there would be pretty cool....

Mike <"))))))><

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
fishin trip

Well when does that river start to heat up?
Some time in Feb.?
Or what about the C&R season later.
When we set the date we should have a fly tying "jam session" a'la Dec Hogan.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
April

I believe the c&r season for big native fish is in April on the skagit.
A yearly non-resident liscence for Warshington state is very reasonable.
I get one as I fish down there a couple of times a year.Different system though.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Are we there yet?

Straight run is under two hours.I guess that all depends on where exactly you go though.
I am currently trying to hook up with some family friends who, if we are lucky still have there property on the river. That would equal free camping with water and power I believe.
Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i will be into it as long as i have a week notice...are you looking to fish weekend or weekday?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would be very interested in this as well, I ride past the skagit on my motorbike in the summer and it looks very, very fishy.....

I also hear that there is a large population of bulls in there as well ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Skagit is probably one of the most under rated dolly fisheries in the PNW!
I've made trips down just to target them. As for steelhead, I'll be down there from april 1st on. More than happy to split the costs with some of you! We never did get down there like planned last season Eric?? Still have my number? If not PM me.
Erik

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what I understand. Mid March on into April are the hot months for winter runs on the fly. Big native run steelhead at that time of the year. And natives take a fly much better than pellet heads

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Paul, do you even know what a steelhead looks like?!!!:D One of those Sunbeam spools you sold me have seen a few!! Are you going to get down this way this season? Let me know..... We can do a little swingin'!
Erik

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Skagit is probably one of the most under rated dolly fisheries in the PNW!
I've made trips down just to target them. As for steelhead, I'll be down there from april 1st on. More than happy to split the costs with some of you! We never did get down there like planned last season Eric?? Still have my number? If not PM me.
Erik
Erik, yeah we need to hook up and head down there. Do you need a passport to cross the border??? Lost the phone i had last time you gave me your number.. so i need it again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts