BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to skagit casting with heads looking for any help with tips for my spey rod for the veddar and squamish areas i have a loomis dredger 13'4 7/8 weight and a bauer m6 reel
any help would be greatly appericated thanks lots

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a few on the market. I know Rio (hope this isn't a plug that will get me kicked off) lines have great skagit lines, and I use their tips on my Loop heads are great. Just loop the tips onto the head and fire away. THere are some general "rules' about length (3-3.5 times the rod length) for heads, and that is why they have the skagit cheaters to insert to get the proper length. I am sure you will find out the rest when you go to buy them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
first time poster but heavily into skagit casting....
I use both rio skagit lines and the airflo skagit line.

There is quite a difference in the taper and the thickness of the heads.. rio is definitly chunkier and the airflo does have a thinner taper and is a little longer.

I usually cut the running line off the Rio line(actually same thing with thier windcutter and mid-spey line) The running line i find sticky and not the best out there. I am not 100% sure but the might be just selling the head ..Air flo just comes as the head and u have to pick your own shooting line or running line.

They both cast well but i find Airflo lines to be a little nicer to cast because of the taper.

For your dredger square tail airflo skagit 7/8 or rio 7/8 would be fine... The grain wt on the airflo will be a little lighter then the Rio skagit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skagit lines

Eric thanks lots for your information and the welcomed advice will look into the airflo lines for the rod as it sounds to be the better choice of lines.
thanks again will

·
Registered
238 Posts
not a problem... the airflo line also come with a tip wallet and 20 foot sink tip loop at each end so u can make two tips with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts