BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Skagit opening is just around the corner and I'm wondering what everyone's favourite Skagit flies are? Wet? Dry? Early, mid, and late season?

If I were only able to bring three flies, they would be a caddis nymph, olive humpy, and an adams.

Dinsdale

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My three standards are pale yellow comparadun (#14-16), stimulator (#10-14), and Bob Giles' river dragon. Don't usually have to go beyond those three.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good choices. Is that comparadun with or without hackle? I've been meaning to bring some 16's and even 18's. 12's and 14's are my usual size. I am not familiar with the river dragon.

Anyone else?

DP

F

·
0 Posts
Lady McConnell's are my number 1 dry pattern...tied with yellow, brown and tan bodys...Sizes 10-16..If the dry action is a little slow, then a Copper John in the chop works well..

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Adams Irresistable is my favorite fly for dry and a bead head copper jhon I find works very well. I was also wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a fly swap with a skagit river theme. Just a thought
thanks
Bead Head

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great. I have learned I need to expand my colors a bit as I have pretty much stuck with olive and tan in the past.

FF: I finally discovered the riffles last year. Up until then, I worked the dries too much and had ignored all that other productive water.

BH: I'd be up for that. Maybe even an overnighter fish-out on the Skagit. I could do the long weekend from mid-day Saturday to the Monday or July 13th - 19th.

Dinsdale

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RC: I'm curious how and where you fish the bunny leech.

In all the years I've fished the Skagit, I have only caught one, big bull. It was down near the lake on some kind of nymph (It was years ago and I don't remember the pattern). I see them all the time cruising the deeper holes. I'd love to catch a few more of those pigs.

I also find it interesting we all have our favourite go-to flies, but they are mostly different from the next guy's!

Dinsdale

·
Registered
78 Posts
RC: I'm curious how and where you fish the bunny leech.
I dont usually target the Bulls when fishing the Skagit but if I find one or a likley spot I will try a big ugly fly (Bunny leech\clouser minnow) and let it sink down in the deeper pools, log jams ect. Fast sink line is recommended but I have had some luck with weighted patterns, longer leader on the floating line. Landing them is another story...They get BIG and they are AGGRESSIVE have been broken off more than I have landed :shock: If you want to target them I would suggest fishing at the mouth where the Skagit flows into Ross lake also the deeper log jams. Have seen some guys carrying two rods. A 3-5wt with floating line for trout and a 6-7wt with sink tips for the bulls. Try a couple casts into a log jam with the 4wt and nymphs and if no hits swing a BIG ugly pattern through and hang on :) . Another method I think would work but havent really tried is a glo bug under an indicator. If you can find a nice pool and get a good drift I cant see a big Bull saying no to an egg pattern :?:

-RC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts