BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I just picked up a fly rod and I'm looking to get out there. I don't have a boat or any sort and to be honest, I have no real idea what I'm doing. I was hoping someone could direct me to somewhere where I could go out and do some shore 'fishing', which I'm sure will be more like "wave rod around in the air and tangle the line".

Frankly, accessibility and proximity are a lot more important to me right now that good fishing.

I'm in Abbotsford, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

G

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you are looking to "wave your rod around and tangle your line" I would suggest you go and hit up your local sports field. I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but it has some very good merits. The best place to learn how to cast properly is one that is free of fish. If there are fish around chances are you will be more focused on catching fish than on proper casting technique. This will not help you learn to cast. My advice, if you are learning to cast, is to put in some time learning first before you go out and hit the water. Watch some youtube videos, get an idea of the technique go try it out and then come back and see what you missed. Fly fishing is much more enjoyable when casting isn't a chore.

Once you are somewhat comfortable with your casting then you should seek out some decent fishing spots. It would help to know what rod weight you are using as this will narrow down your possible fishing locals. If you have a rod in 4-6 weight you could try shore casting from a local lake for trout. I don't know of any off hand but http://www.sharphooks.com has a good database of local lakes and reports on how they are fishing.

Hope this helps you out a little. Be patient with your casting and you will get there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going against my seemingly ingrained habit of doing first and thinking later, I took your advice and I'm very glad I did. A couple of hours in the backyard trying out those countless Youtube video's I've been watching got me to where I can at least get the fly out there 20 or so feet, with reasonably straight line, most of the time. I had an unexpected day off yesterday and snuck down to a little private spot on Mill Lake, where the earlier practice actually let me do some fishing.

My one concern about practice is that it can make permanent rather than perfect. Does one practice accuracy as well as distance and line shape on dry land?

I appreciate the help, and that's a great website! Thanks man.

G

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can't speak for everyone but I find that I practice accuracy when I cast 40' and under, any longer I am happy if my fly gets within 10' of the target. I do practice casting on dry land every now and again, especially early season so I can back into the swing of things. I would argue that distance is the product of proper technique and timing accuracy comes more from learning your rod and line and getting the feel for how it all works together. Fly casting is almost like a golf swing in that there is always a little something that can be adjusted a little to get that fly farther or closer to where you wanted it to go. I don't think practice will hurt you. Keep at it, I'm glad you found the website helpful, its led me to a couple of nice days once or twice before.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Hey Bad,

I'm pretty new to this sport also. Spent all last year teaching myself to fly fish, and found that I had very quickly hit a wall that I could not get myself past. I took a basic learn to fly fish at a local fly shop and could not believe the difference it made. Almost instantly I noticed a difference in my distance and control. I now spend an hour or so each week down at a little park at the end of the road. I go through all the motions that we went over in the class.

Starting with feeding out line, roll casting, classic casting, single haul, dubble haul, side casting and finish up with some short casts where I try my best to land on a target within 3 feet.

I find it's a nice way to finish up the week, and it's built up my confidence for sure. I still have a hell of a time with the dubble haul, but it's getting better each time out.

I really cannot say enough good things about getting out with a guide / teacher once you feel you cannot teach yourself anymore.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would work on the mechanics (physics) of casting before you try for accuracy as it will come in time. Just remember to stop the rod abruptly on both the forward and back cast and allow yourself the time to feel the rod load. Practice and more practice is the key to proficiency and as already stated, get a teacher to help you learn. A few hours with an instructor will help you not to develop bad habits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey man,

While, sitting in a sports field is fun, and good practice...catching fish is also enjoyable :p. (I have spent my share of time grass fishing...

Anyway some good places to get started:

-Vedder, around train bridge, tie on a beige caddis fly, you wont pick up huge fish but they are in there and its good practice! (Somewhere with lots of room for back casting)...also make sure you cast high, I tend to teach friends at the vedder and they break off lots of flies :(

-Falls Lake, this is about an hours drive from Abby, and then a 15 - 20 minute hike, but awesome confidence builder. When you get there, there is a log jam to your left, walk out about half way and it will raise you above the water for easy casting (I learned to cast here). The cool thing is, you will catch fish...no matter what. The farther you can cast the bigger they get. Just use small dry flies

Both of these places don't offer huge fish, but they are accessible, and fun. At Falls I typically pull in 8" - 12" and in a full day usually 3 or 4 13" +

Good Luck!
Jooon

Edit:
Also, casting is 2/3's the battle, work on finding out different ways of retrieving! Falls lake is weird like that, one day short and fast another day slow and long!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts