BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I am thinking about venturing forth to explore the lakes on the Florence Lake Forest road, namely: Sayres, Morgan and Florence Lakes. These are classified as SL4 lakes and some old books I have suggest that the fishing can be quite good. I am hoping that the no-retention, fairly long access road, and nearly zero shore access will deter most of the lower mainland fishing crowds, and that there are still some large wild trout in these lakes. Anyone ever been? How was the access?

I have heard reports that the area can be prone to car vandalism and break ins even though it is quite remote, is there any substance to these rumors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AFAIK the correction facilities was at Sayres lake, and has been removed. Apparently the inmates ran a trout hatchery and that has been removed too. There is something about the idea of inmates working at a trout hatchery appealing: something worthwhile that they can do, get in touch with nature while rehabilitating.

I am not in Mission and never been to the area, so if anyone can correct me on that, please let me know. My info comes mainly from http://missionofstreams.blogspot.com/2008/12/removal-of-floats-at-sayres-lake.html

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
AFAIK the correction facilities was at Sayres lake, and has been removed. Apparently the inmates ran a trout hatchery and that has been removed too. There is something about the idea of inmates working at a trout hatchery appealing: something worthwhile that they can do, get in touch with nature while rehabilitating.

I am not in Mission and never been to the area, so if anyone can correct me on that, please let me know. My info comes mainly from http://missionofstreams.blogspot.com/2008/12/removal-of-floats-at-sayres-lake.html
Ahhhh...the good old days! It's been years since I lived there and fished those lakes but I did fish Sayers (Cedar) the year the holding pen broke and all those hawg rainbows escaped into Sayers. Saw some fish in the 16 lb. range. Used to catch some beauty brookies in Morgan and was C&R back then!

Never fished Florence but fished Devil on the way up and was awesome if the carpenter ants were flying.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The corrections camp was at Stave lake Back in the 70's I believe, but has been closed.When??, I don't know. I was up at Sayres lake a couple of years ago and the road wasn't too bad. You had to park a ways away from the lake and you couldn't see your vehicle. I didn't have anything happen to the truck, but I can see how it could be opportune for TDM's .I think that lots of young people go up there and party. I didn't catch anything but some guys trolling got a few. If I remember correctly, there isn't much for shoals and the lake is pretty rocky. Went in to Morgan in ancient times when you had to hike in from Stave or Alouette Lake. Nice little lake. But again didn't catch much as we were fishing from the shore. This was before belly boats were common. I was thinking of giving Sayres a go; again, so If you try it lets us know how it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Zane, i'll let the board know how things go if and when I head out there. Ideally I'd like to try all of them before summer! But we'll see. I live near UBC in Vancouver and often spend my evenings looking at hiking books, BC backroads mapbooks, or the internet, looking for good fishable waters, and these lakes along Florence Lake FSR seem like good candidates!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The road to sayers is pretty good just like 300 yards before the lake they put some lockblocks but you can still drive around them to the left its not bad at all if you have a truck. The lake can be hard to fish go deep, long leader and slow. I have cought some big fish out of this lake. I haven't fished it for almost two years now, im sure there are a few biggies still. Oh yeah there is a guy that live down on the lake with two big dogs he's kinda creepy but harmless. Goood luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Bobert, I drove the Florence Lake FSR 2 weeks ago. Road was in fare condition. Didn't fish the lakes, but went and had a good look at Florence, it looked like it would be really deep and quite rocky. Very pretty though, definately one I will go back to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts