BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking forward to the fall this year for salmon and i was just wondering what would be a good set-up, i already got an 8wt rod and reel, but what lines/sink tips should go with it ive been looking at rio lines and ive had some kind of an idea of what to get but still im kinda stumped, also id like to use this same setup for steelhead im not sure if it what matter. If anyone could put in some input on various lines and what not, that would be cool.
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try the Rio versa-tip, worth the money with 5 different heads or some fly shops do their very own "economical" knock-offs.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
This is a difficult answer simply because of the fishery at hand...many fly fishers want to get their flies down to "line" Coho and other fish...for the purests a dry line is adequate to get Coho to Strike at a flashy fly...so,no answers yet..but,the Stamp and other Alberni rivers have very good numbers of Coho to entice to a strike...
The Versa tip system is a good bet because you have so many options at hand...but fails a bit at being a good casting line,however fishes well.
Personally I now fish a more simple method with using a Compact head (Tonic)and differing sink tips to T-17 if I need to get down...this is a good running line,looped to the Tonic Head whic is then looped to the Sink Tip...such as in the case of the Versatip line being looped to the sink tip also. The advantage of the Tonic Set-up over the Versatip system is it's abil;ity to be more effective and easier to cast in more situations...Rio also does a few Compact heads
Have fun
FYI...when I fish Coho in Fresh Water I will work the perimeter of the runs instead of the pools...travelling Coho don't bite as a rule;once they stop they become agitated and will strike out ...a good example is when you fish slower moving water with trees lines along the banks...fish unde the tree limbs where the Coho will be stopped for whatever reason...in the pools you need to get down and either snag a fish or if lucky find One waiting for something...

Have fun

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depends on the type of water you plan to fish. For me personally, I enjoy fishing backwaters, sloughs and other stillwaters for coho in freshwater. Nothing beats a slimeline for this application IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts