BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fleshed out my saltwater arsenal a few weeks back by purchasing a Sage Xi3 12wt (Tarpon/Billfish - great door-crasher deal at the Sea-Run 25th anniversary sale) and a Echo 2 Saltwater 9 wt (bonefish/permit). I've already got a TFO TiCR 7wt.

I've been debating whether I should have gone with the opposite weights, i.e., a Xi3 9wt and a Echo 2 12wt. I am still able to swap the rods if I want.

My rationale is:
- I like the feel of the Xi3 9wt a bit better. It has less vibration and shoots line like a cannon. The Echo is no dog, but not at the same level.
- It's hard to tell without trying them on the water, but I feel that the stiffness inherent in the 12wt rods reduces the potential difference in castability. Note that there is only a 1/2 oz difference in weights as well between the two (Echo heavier).
- I am more likely to be using the bonefish rod more frequently. May as well pay the most for the most frequently fished.

Oh, one other option is to go for the Xi3 9wt and trade the Echo in for a Xi2 12wt (+$300).

All of the rods are saltwater rated and get good marks for backbone and lifting power.

Anyway, I'm curious as to whether anyone out there has any opinions that they'd like to share with the world. Your critique is welcome.

Ciao,

Eric

·
Registered
383 Posts
Would the Echo not do the job for bones? If it will then for the new rod, why not just go with the 12 wt for tarpon (unless, (like myself) you just lust for both a 9 and a 12 wt Sages).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I am lusting after the Sages.

New Info: I tried out the Echo 2 Saltwater 12wt yesterday and it is quite the club. I compared it to the Xi2 and the Xi3 and I don't see myself going that way for the 12wt. It looks like I'll be keeping a Sage 12wt.

The question now is down to whether I want to upgrade the Echo 9wt to a Sage. I'm debating swapping the Echo 9wt for a Xi2 12wt and changing the Xi3 12wt to a Xi3 9wt. I like the fore-grip on the Xi2 a bit better than the Xi3. Is it worth the extra $300 or so? Hard to say. It's probably more my perfectionism than any huge difference.

Funny how you can over-analyze stupid situations. "Analysis Paralysis", as they say.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Whatever you choose to go with will work given the list you have. One rod I have never tried was one of the Amundson ones from Jack's shop, not sure if he carries the equal of the 12 wt Sage or not.

G

·
Here's my 2 cents: Ditch the Echo and go Sage all the way. I've fished the Xi3 in an 11 wt and liked it a bunch. I should note that Sage builds all my favorite rods. I own a Xi2 8 wt that I really like. A 9 wt Xi3 would be excellent in diminishing those nasty winds that plague the flats. I've played with most rods on the market today and I've found that there really is no substitute for advanced technology when it comes to high modulus graphite. Compared to Sage, most manufactures are playing catch-up. In my opinion, the best advantage of these super-fast action rods is on the flats. My only gripe, and I'm not sure it's justified, is why no 9'6" flats rods?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input ded. I'm 90% decided to go with the 12wt Xi2 and the 9wt Xi3.

I cam get the Xi2 on a good clearance (less the return value of the Echo) and trade the Xi3 12wt down to a 9wt.

I figure these will be "lifetime"' rods.

·
Registered
513 Posts
"lifetime" until the next one comes out right? I keep thinking that I'm finally set with my rod arsenal, but I still manage to find ways to make room for more and better models. Funny how that works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"lifetime" until the next one comes out right? I keep thinking that I'm finally set with my rod arsenal, but I still manage to find ways to make room for more and better models. Funny how that works.
<fingers in ears>

Naaaa, nnaaaaa, nnnnaaaaa,
I can't heeaaaar you!
Naaaa, nnaaaa, naaaaa...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts