BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting one, 9 foot 8 weight. Are these rods any good? and how much am I gonna blow on it?

Thanks
Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Xi2 is one of the best Salt water rods I have ever fished with, with the 8 weight, I have landed Coho in BC, Striped Bass in Cape Cod, Red fish in Florida , Bone fish in Cuba, GT'S in Belize and South Africa and will take it to Australia next month to throw at God knows what!

So in a nut shell if you are thinking of buying one - make sure it has Titanium rings and guides (sage ones rust) and a Titanium Struble seat, goes a long way to finishing it off nicely.

All the best
Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Xi2 is a very smooth long distance casting saltwater rod. Possibly one of the smoothest and most powerfull rods I have ever cast. Very easy to chuck an entire 8wt GPX on the 8wt model. However I do believe that you will sacrifice a little on short casts because the Xi2 doesnt load very well with 30ft or less of line out. Because of this I would reccommend checking out the Scott X2S. I haven't tried the X2S yet but heres what Ive heard from some excellent saltwater fly anglers who were present at the fly show in Denver:The X2S is a couple hundred dollars cheaper and is a hell of a salwater rod and loads very niceley on short casts as well as long casts.I dont think you would be going wrong buying a Xi2 but I do believe a X2S would be worth a try before spending.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.