BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of the more veteran fly tiers on here have any suggestions for rubber leg and body materials that can be bought at the average craft store for stoneflies.

I'm looking to tie up some flies for a trip this weekend, and rubber legs would be nice. Tough part is that the fly shop is closed and I was slow to get out and grab some materials.

I've been considering using some pipe cleaner chenille for the body, but I'm not sure what effect that will produce from buoyancy when the fly is wet, even with lead and a bead.

Really, any advice is appreciated, I'm looking to experiment a little bit, but I don't want to stray too much.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think Michaels and other craft stores sell elastic "string" by the foot (I've seen it somewhere before). The stuff is almost identical to silli-legs and comes in a 8-10 colors. It's about .002 or 3 larger but should work for stonefly nymphs. I wouldn't go any smaller than a size 10 or the legs would be disproportionate.

As far as using a pipe cleaner for chenille...that one is beyond me, lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
check out...bungee cord..it comes in various sizes and colours as well..
..and as far as using chenille as body material, there are plenty of stone fly patterns that use it..here is a common one
used here on the Bow..
..................AW

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, thanks.

I'll hit the store as soon as I can and try to tie something up here. I'll post my Frankenstein afterward.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Ya, bungee cord centers will be good for legs. As for the body - I use black vynl strips - not sure what they call it in craft stores, I think it's called "lace" and kinda looks like thin licorice candy. It sinks well and is hard plastic. Sometimes you can find it with black on one side and olive or some other colour on the other, and if you lay it down just right, it gives a nice rib effect.

Heavy guage black wire would also be another good bet for body material which you can get at a craft store.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the only heavy gauge wire that was available at Michael's was too thick for my liking.

I decided to go with the elastic cord idea. Tied a couple of wannabe-Kauffmann's:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Nice tie Steve, considering the materials you had available. I'm sure that'll fool more than a few fish!!! Fly tying is the craft born out of the materials you have at your disposal....and you disposed of them quite well.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... If I could just cast the damnable things!

I think I put too much lead on them, because they counter my cast significantly and end up plopping into the water. I can't shoot the line at all with these monsters on there.

I did hook into what seemed to be a fair sized fish on one, but I really had trouble getting them out into the water where the bigger fish were, and wound up splashing crazily along the shore and digging the flies out of riprap and vegetation.

Maybe it's time to invest some legitimate time into learning and attempting to master the double haul...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I find when I'm casting my weighted stoneflys I have to roll-cast instead of hauling. Less splash and I find I'm more accurate.

The double-haul is easy to learn. Took me about 20 mins when Salar taught me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts