BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back in pr we have big cuttys. jsut being blunt. but we also have a lot of lakes that are full of 1.5lb fish and less which are relative to size, very scrappy. i have a 5 weight rod which is great for i feel all around fishing in the area. good for big and smaller fish. i also have my 8 weight for hogs. im think of going a step down though. so as to appreciate the smaller fish a little more. i enjoy almost as much as hog hunting going to any little stream or lake, or pond and casting in smaller flies in order to have a day full of 7 to 14 inch trout. thats a blast for me. what id like to know is how is it casting a 3 weight rod. in truth id like to go that route for the added sensitivity. making every fish feel like a monarch. and i dont reall see the point of jsut going down one size. but if theyre impossible to deal with them i cant be bothered. does anyone use a 3 weight. im not a proffesional caster but with the right rig i hold my own.i'll probly go with a dragonfly orginal as its n my price range and thats what i use now and survive allright. any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
powell riverite
383 Posts
hey man,
by the time you get back ill probably have my 4 wt built and ill let you give it a try, the blanks gunna be a beulah and i think there like $280 for the pre fab ones
and ya i def. know what you mean about for the lighter ones, and i already have a large list of places in mind i wanna ive them a try in

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I've got a couple of 4's, a 3 and a little 6'6" 2 wt. I love 'em. You aren't going to bomb out 60' casts (it can be done) with a 2 wt, but then again you aren't going to be fishing any streams where you need to. For small to medium stream fishing I don't usually go over a 4 wt and even for big rivers, a 5 or 6 wt does fine. I am talking trout fishing here, not salmon and steel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i love my TFO 3 weight. it's my favorite rod. i using it to dry line fish chironomids and to fish dry flys. i warn you not to get one, mainly because you will end up having too much fun playing around with 12 - 16 inch fish to worry about chasing the big ones. :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is a little lake or pond more like it about a half hours walk from the hole. You don't need to cast far and there is lots of 10 -12 inchers there. would be great on a light rod. I'll show ya when your back if its not too warm. Its a blast when its good, nice little lake and I think I've only seen some one else there once in like ten years.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that be the muddy waters right. i like talking in code. or the run off lake of the hole? both are nice. im a big big fan on muddy waters. probly my favorite lake for small trout. especially the spit at the far end there. i might have to save up and get me a three weight. but ill need another reel, line, ugghh it never ends.

·
powell riverite
383 Posts
haha looks like we'll have to have an expedition when jake gets back, and i got a few other places i wanna hit up too, ever since i got the backroad map book my list of places to fish just keeps getting longer

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was thinking of smaller stream fishing around here and the bennifits of a shorter lighter rod as well. Around here though there are pretty big trout in small water from time to time. So when I saw an old Diamond (vermont fly rods) 4-5wt 7'6" rod for sale I went for it. Can't wait for spring and some skinny water cutthroat fishing :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts