BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was much younger I used to watch to seasoned fly fishermen on the Miramichi River in New Brunswick rub the stainless ferrules along the side of their noses for lubrication. Only to find ,in much later years ,that doing that wasn't really the thing to do;it is salt based and we all know what Salt and Metal can become...a problem. Since we rarely have metal ferrules anymore,and most rods are overlap joints these days... unscented pure Parafin wax is the ticket...however,there are many other variations out there...and I have one I will share as this thread evolves...later.
Lets hear your doings!
C

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Parrafin here, or white candle wax. Learned about it after my 5 wt snapped off at the ferrule (male end) after it worked loose on a long day on the Skagit. Usually apply it every 2nd or third time out. I always clean the ferrule w/ rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt qnd grit, before applying wax.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White tailed Deer

:cool: I did mention that i would share a bit of info' about a great wax treatment for joints . You see, it is imperative that you seek the fat from the Liver of White Tail Deer ,rendering it down and blending it thoroughly with pure Parafin Wax. This produces a very plyable, easy to manage ferrule wax that is easily stored in your vest!
Please note: the fats from other Deer including Mule,Black Tip, Island and others doesn't work! so i've been told.
This is actually an old British or Scot recipe...fact! And yes I do have some and it is great...and bring it out only as a conversation piece during casting clinics...:p
C

·
Registered
37 Posts
:cool: I did mention that i would share a bit of info' about a great wax treatment for joints . You see, it is imperative that you seek the fat from the Liver of White Tail Deer ,rendering it down and blending it thoroughly with pure Parafin Wax. This produces a very plyable, easy to manage ferrule wax that is easily stored in your vest!
Please note: the fats from other Deer including Mule,Black Tip, Island and others doesn't work! so i've been told.
This is actually an old British or Scot recipe...fact! And yes I do have some and it is great...and bring it out only as a conversation piece during casting clinics...:p
C
NOW that I find very interesting as I am currently reading a few books on fly fishing history with anecdotal reporst and recipes....good reading.

Thanks

Bud.....aka Kettlefisher

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.