BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all from a newbie!
I am also new to fly fish Skagit River.
I was using WF-6F on 9ft rod there but I felt it could have been more enjoyable if I used a lighter gear.
I found a good deal on eBay and bought Scientific Angler WF-4F. Now it is a turn to choose a rod.
There are choices for different lengths of 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2, 9 and 10 foot rods.
Which length of the rod will be the most enjoyable to fish Skagit in the long run?
Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been using a four peice 8ft 4wt and it works great for the skagit. I like the four peice cause it can break down to a fairly small rod thats easy to pack around and the 8ft length is easy enough to cast in the tighter situations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rod For Skagit

You normally don't need to make very long casts on the Skagit -- so I'd go with a 8 ft 4wt.

However, if you might want to use the rod for stillwater fishing I'd go with the 9ft.

:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For easier mending, I decided to go with 9ft and ended up as buying 3/4 wt Powell Legacy Light.
Paid $100 US plus S,H and insurance for a used one on eBay.
Thanks again for the helpful opinions!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My favourite rod in my collection is my 9' 4wt Winston IM6...and for the Skagit, I use this rod almost exclusively (I now have a 2wt though). If the rod was meant only for the Skagit, or other similarly sized streams, then the ideal in my mind would be a 8'6" 4wt.

G

·
Is there a huge difference between an IM6 and IM7. I just want to know if it would be a big loss to go with IM6 instead of 7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to the Similkameen River with the new 4wt. rod.
The sky was covered by the smoke from the forest fire in Washington.
I have never realized that amount of difference between good and regular gears!
With better quality of rod and line, 4wt casted mre distance with better control effortlessly than the old 6wt set up!
That made a real nice day after catching and releasing number of bows and whitefishes.
Thanks again for the suggestions that helped me out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts