BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing some independent market research for a school project. We're supposed to identify a hobby we enjoy and survey the population to identify the habits of participants. Because I'm avid fly angler and I love fishing in my home province of BC, I thought I'd survey some of you folks who've been influential in teaching me to fish. The survey is 21 questions and will take 5-7 minutes to complete.

Here's where you can find it: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P5MC9WF

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing some independent market research for a school project. We're supposed to identify a hobby we enjoy and survey the population to identify the habits of participants. Because I'm avid fly angler and I love fishing in my home province of BC, I thought I'd survey some of you folks who've been influential in teaching me to fish. The survey is 21 questions and will take 5-7 minutes to complete.

Here's where you can find it:

Thank you kindly for your time,

Jeff
Where are you going to school?

·
powell riverite
383 Posts
ya no link for me either, when it shows up i'd be willing to help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey 11th Warrior, I was attending the University of British Columbia, but relocated my senior year to the Cincy area and have been finishing my degree via Athabasca University. They we're my favorite option, but provide me with the most transfer credit and the ability to get credit for "proficiency" in certain areas. Cool approach I suppose.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey localwaters,

I did your survey, hope it helps.
The idea of the website with all of the info sounds good - are you hiring? :)

·
powell riverite
383 Posts
survey's done! hope some of that helped ya, some of the stuff didnt really apply to me but i tried to awnser the best i could

·
Registered
132 Posts
I started to answer your survey until I came to the "How much would you pay". The last thing I need is a book that any "beak" can buy and end up on my fishing water.What that question has to do with your survey is beyond your professed "habits of participants".

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I didn't look at the survey until Wayvik mentioned something smelled fishy. Oh boy does it ever!! The survey person asks the same questions we give newbies a hard time for when they ask them!!! Where, how often, what fly, where do I find more info, etc, etc...not cool. Although I didn't "do" the survey, I read it entirely and laughed out loud when it came to the "What type of web enabled mobile device do you use?" question. What that has to do with fishing is beyond me, unless you are logging IP addresses with the survey then spamming the heck out of those domains.

The next question that peaked my interest was "If a resource geared to fly fishermen was available online and met most of your needs including up to date water & weather conditions, hatch charts & what flies are working, and access points along 5000 streams, rivers, lakes, and ponds in North America, would it be valuable to you? If so what would you be willing to spend?" LOL. Not even worth a reply.

This "survey" is like one of those internet popups that looks like a windows advisory about a virus, etc and leads you to an anti-virus site.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i did the survey. i think the idea of an online info source is good, but only for the major waters. keep the small backwaters out of it. let people do their own exploring. and the mobile web device? no true student of the back country knows how use one, never mind owns one. internet is for the computer at home. that is where it belongs, that is where it stays.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Really, you should be careful when doing these surveys.

Ensure that you have all of your internet security enabled so as that nefarious files cannot be transmitted to your computer.

Additionally, you can be paid for doing surveys from several different companies. I will not post their names, but you can find them online.

I once got paid 300$ to smoke cigarettes and then discuss them. Took me 45 minutes. Got 100$ to drink whiskey... 80$ to shave...

At any rate, I'm against the idea of this website. Fishing is a sport, and I believe that you should preserve the integrity of sports. Taking the time to look for lakes and then exploring those lakes is a fundamental component of the fly fishing sport. To pay someone to provide you with a GPS map of where to go is the next step in the destruction of the culture of fly fishing. I turn my cell phone off when I go fishing (for the serenity and to keep the girlfriend from nagging me to come home), and I take the time to read books and maps when it comes to deciding where to fish.

Let's not be lazy...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I, too, took the survey but I have to question the validity and ulterior motives. Why the heck would a survey need to know where I fish and what can possibly be gained by that? Heck! My wife isn't even privy to that knowledge. As far as backcountry goes, I've spent the last twenty years exploring and developing an intimate relationship with the backcountry of BC's Interior and friends I fish with are appreciative of the knowledge but they are very familiar with the word "mom".

I agree with Ruger on the mobile internet device topic. In my opinion, one should have to put the time in to find those special places. Technology will never surpass the successes and failures of personal experience. I seem to remember the trips that ended emptyhanded with far more fondness than the alternative and I learned so much more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts