BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladiea and Gents, I know this kind of plea is met with a certain - admittedly natural - kind of affrontery, but here goes...

I have one day in mid September to fish in the Victoria area whilst there on business. I need an area to fish for about 6 hours total, that's all I have. That's time on the water, and I'd like to spend as little time in the car as possible. So that would mean 2 hours max drive, one way, from Victoria.

I'd sure appreciate some advice on a stream where I could walk and wade.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I am not from the Island, and get few opportunities to go there, bt when I do, I alwys try to hit the Cowichan. It has a very healthy brown torut population, which will be familiar to a Bow River angler, and is within your 2 hour time frame. I am sure there will be others here with much better suggestions (and perhaps an offer of company) chiming in soon.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep - the cowichan is what I would recommend if you like rivers and only have a little time. Not too familiar with the good spots though, so I will be watching this thread closely. There is a map of the river in the fishing synopsis that could be useful.....
Good luck!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not familiar with the other rivers near Victoria, but I would also suggest the Cowichan. By the time you get there the water temp should be low enough to fish safely (safe for the fish that is...). Don't expect great fishing at that time of year, mostly small bows, but always the chance of connecting with a brown. Lovely place to fish regardless, with good wading if the water level remains low. Do bear in mind that the river rocks are covered in Didymo (rock snot), so it is slippery and you will want to wash/treat your gear before entering another watershed. (Probably warm enough to wet wade though.)
PM me if you want directions to the fly-fish-only section.
T.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well folks, thanks for your input. Tangler, a special thanks to you!

As it turned out, I didn't get to fish the river for reasons that amount to a comedy of errors of sorts...

A few times over the last few years, I have asked a question or two, via email, of the fly shop in Duncan called Highfields. They've been very helpful. As one does, at times, in a new area, I thought I'd pop in, buy a few flies, ask a few questions... I also wanted to buy a case for a prized Hardy reel. As you all may already know, Highfields is no longer open... I just found out... so we headed to the new location up in Chemainus.

Well, we didn't have a map. We drove a bit, trying to use logic and deduction and trial and error to find the place. We came close, in an area with some roadworks. We stopped to ask directions but the very nice young lady holding the slow/stop double sided sign was deaf! I can't use signlanguage, so we headed off. . . eventually we found Teddy's place though it was more by good luck than good management... and it was closed! The house was quiet so we split.

It was getting late in the day, and by the time we'd get to the river we were doubtful of having sufficient time. We found the area we sought, thanks to some excellent directions, and hoofed it in. Alas, as has been posted elsewhere, the river was lowish, no signs of any fish. I did see that some intrepid soul had been using salt water mussels in the area... there were shells on the shore and a couple in the river clearly visible. I'm not sure what to make of that... Ahem.

Well, I'll be back again and will hit the area when conditions are a bit better. November may bring the chance, perhaps I'll get a bit of winter steelheading in. It's been more than 30 years since I last fished the Cowichan, as a boy, closer to where the club has it's place at the trailhead. It sure is pretty and I look forward to a more fruitful outing sometime in the future.

Thanks for the help folks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm glad you were able to find the spot.
Too bad you didn't get to fish there. Even though it looked quiet there were fish around, as I found out on Wednesday. :eek:)
Don't worry about the shells, they are from freshwater clams which can be quite prolific in the river. The shells were probably the result of otter predation.
If the river isn't blown out November can be a good time to fish with egg patterns...
T.

·
Registered
424 Posts
too bad about the stores, If I had know you were going to teds and to bills I would have said something, Teds in hardy coho and pink fishing, and Bill's no longer there due to hardy dicking around with pricing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
make sure you go online and check DFO and fishing regs for rivers around this time on vancouver island with all the salmon running some rivers r evin closed :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts