BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am sort of hoping this little bit of rain does something to the water levels, however that's probably wishful thinking considering how dry the ground is. None the less I would like to get out and do some fishing this weekend.(Aug 12, 13) Being new to the lower mainland I really don't know a whole lot about time of the runs but I do know water will trigger runs. I'd like to get into some salmon but also would consider going for resident fish. Not looking for anyone's "honey hole" more just general guidance. I've spent enough time on the N. Shore rivers so I'd like to broaden my horizons a little. Was considering either the Vedder for springs, or the skagit for residents. Any other recommendations are also appreciated. I'm assuming there's a wack of fish in the Fraser but all my hard tackle gear is on the island and I'm thinking the Fraser would be a waste of time with even my 10 wt. I'm planning on camping so any info. regarding camp sites is also appreciated. Feel free to drop me an email if you'd prefer not to post info. on here!

Thanks in advance and tight lines!

Derek

G

·
Once the socks ( if the socks) come in larger numbers then the 10 weight will be great for the Fraser. The Skagit has been fishing well too.

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fished the Skagit on Monday, water levels are quite low so be prepared to do some hiking to find the deeper pools. Had some luck with orange stonefly nymphs and American Coachman dry flys.Thompson usually fishes well at this time year :wink:

-RC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This weekend....

Thanks for the advice guys! I drove down silvercreek road to Ross lake on my travels a couple years ago but didn't get a chance to get the rods out.....or should I say the girlfriend wouldn't allow that to happen. I remember it being pretty nice water tho. Are there some decent sized trout to be had or is it mostly smaller stuff?

I would consider the Thompson, but it's hard to justify that kind of a drive although it probably wouldn't hurt to get aquainted for October....planning to take a week off and hopefully get a shot at my first 20 lb steelhead. I have read that Spences Bridges is the place to access the Thompson which if my memory serves me correctly is around Cache Creek. What am I looking at for drive time up there? I am driving an 89 F150 so it's not so much the time I'm concerned about :shock: I'd be willing to bet a river that size would produce some good sized resident fish though!

Anyone out there fish the Squamish/Cheakamus/Ashulu/Elaho recently. I checked them about a month ago and the visibility was not good enough for fly fishing IMO. Caught a lot of nice fish from that system this spring....I would think there probably be some salmon in there by now. I'm assuming they seen that oil slick and shot right up the river...... :evil:

Fish Finder.....I'm definitely in no place to pass judgement on the subject but from what I have heard sockeyes can not be caught legitimately by angling. I'm not interested in catching a fish I haven't fooled....isn't that what it's all about? I know that salmon in general don't "feed" once they have started their spawning run but I've definitely had coho, chum, pink and springs hit a fly. I have fished the stamp when the sockeyes were in but have never had one strike. Maybe I'm wrong....have you had them take a fly?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I landed a bag full of trout (largest ~ 18") at Spences Bridge about a month ago. It should be even better now. Big Stimulators and stone nymphs. All the usual places: Nic, Grease Hole, Y-Hole, Hotel run, Graveyard, Gold Pan, Big Horn, Cooper's, B/A run. Didn't try Martel. Should have tried Gospel Rock. The house rock at Lytton was totally submerged, but I bet there were fish there, too.

I've heard the Coq is slow, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. Ditto on the Skagit.

Dinsdale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts