BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put the handle on my spey rod and realized I don't have anything to ream the preformed grip with.
All the other rods I have built have been with cork rings.
Does anyone have a reasonably priced way of building one ?
I was thinking maybe a fubard blank, But do I wrap sandpaper on ? glue abrasive? What is everyone elses experiences.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am getting ready to put the handle on my spey rod and realized I don't have anything to ream the preformed grip with.
All the other rods I have built have been with cork rings.
Does anyone have a reasonably priced way of building one ?
I was thinking maybe a fubard blank, But do I wrap sandpaper on ? glue abrasive? What is everyone elses experiences.
hey phearless when i built mine and the wifes rods i did use a fubared blank, witch i wraped with 80 grit emery cloth. go careful, and check often to get a snug fit.

dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
..you can make ur own if you have a few spare base sticks that for some reason are broken and now they r only good for parts...I glued [epoxy] several with abrasive grit, and they worked a lot better than putting sand paper or emery cloth on ..at least nothing moved...ArticWolf

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have a tapered rat tail fine rasp. It is about 14" long and tapers from about 1/4 inch at the tip to 5/8 inch at the base. I use it in an electric drill and it doesn't fail me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used a piece of dowel from a hardware store. I spread contact cement on both dowel and emery cloth (80 grit I think?) and then wrapped the cloth around the dowel and held it in place with a few elastic bands. That tool lasted through several rod projects until it was lost during a move. Good luck with your spey rod.

Cheers,
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts