BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Since the season has changed from fly fishing to ice fishing (and fly tying), I've got some questions.

I was lucky enough to shoot a deer, turkey and some ducks and was wondering what I should do to prepare they hair and feathers?

I've already cleaned them lightly and I've stored them in freezer bags in the freezer.

Any advice would be helpful!!
This will be my first year of tying more than one or two flies (I hope)

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hi NickH,

What I have done in the past with my turkey tails is heavily coarse salt the meaty part. I stuff it in a bowl of salt until it pulls out all the moisture and then let it dry. I'm not sure if this is the corect method it has worked for me.

As far as the duck feathers goes, all I know is theis; if they are loose like mallard flank, you want to be sure to freeze them to kill the mites, then you are good to go!

As far as the dressing the deer har goes, im not 100% sure what to do there. I have heard you either use salt or boarax? Someone in the forum is sure to know.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
hide

For the deer you need to get all the flesh and fat off the hide.
If you stretch it out first it is easier to scrape.
After that I have used salt and or borax.
The salt sometimes makes a bit of a mess as it will draw so much water out that there will be liquid on the hide.Just be sure to check it a couple of times a day to start and change the medium as it becmes saturated.
Nothing like fooling a fish on flies you tied yourself with materials you harvested and prepared as well.
If you keep this up you will be dieing all your own material soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts