BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Having fished poppers for other types of fish, I would imagine it would be no different for pinks; it might even be easier since pinks tend to show themselves so you know they're present. Toss out the popper and use a couple of quick, short strips followed by a 2-4 second pause. Follow this routine until either a fish hits, or you have to cast out again. Poppers are fairly easy to fish.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Don't overthink this. Pinks are aggressive and easy to target. They will come by in waves and when they are there, you'll catch them.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Alright, i think i get the idea, when they are bright in the rivers they are still aggressive. 4:30 am wake up every morning. Gonna give the poppers a try with my 5 weight. Then my 7/8 spey for sink tips and other fishing etc.
The likelihood of getting a Pink Salmon on a popper in moving water such as Campbell River is extremely remote,what you will get is a few smolts and Salmon fry...and even perhaps a Steelhead. However,Pinks will take small Shrimp off the surface when they are in the ocean,although that too is a difficult task when you consider the density of Shrimp,so it would mostly be sub-surface. Pinks will take Minnow patterns however,these fish are real opportunists and like a quick snack! Yesteday I was fortunate to be teaching a Learn the Water Program for our fly club here on the Island and was fishing a remote North Island River estuary with plenty of fish off the beaches...the bead Head Muddler Minnow was my best fly for the day,I also caught fish on the Blue and natural versions.. for me when the fishing gets tough think outside the box...although this is mostly Salt Water related info but I have found it works extremely well in Rivers such As Campbell River...it is nicer to have a fish either chase or come up to a fly than to drag a fly through it's mouth!
Tight Lines
C

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I side with Salar on this one. Have a feeling that pinks would probably ignore a popper like the plague because the flies are quite big and almost impossible to get down to the mid lower water column where (especially in rivers) you need to be to target these fish. I have used floating line successfully on beaches but they seem to hunker down a little more when they get in the river. I don't mean to discourage you just wanted to add my experience with pinks, cause if you did end up having success on a popper it would probably be a really fun way to fish them

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not remote, i had pinks chase one down (multiples last year) but they wouldnt fully commit. I know you can catch them and im not discouraged. I am just seeing if anyone else has done this before. By the end of the trip i will have caught one on a popper let me assure you.

"Scrappy fighters, the pink salmon can be successfully pursued with rods in the 6 to 8 weight class. When using the lighter gear, a reel with a good drag is a must. A weight forward floating line is usually the best choice. Pinks readily bite on a large variety of flies, including top water offerings. Tried and true producers such as the Humpy Hooker, Lead Eyed Egg Sucking Leech, and the Pink Starlite Leech should be in every pink angler's arsenal."

Is the second website

http://www.deneki.com/alaskawest/world-class-remote-fishing/pink-salmon/

And third

http://www.deneki.com/2009/02/pink-pollywogs-and-poppers/

I caught a dark male on a sedge pattern 2 years ago trying to fish out a cutthroat. I have no doubt in my mind this is not impossible, nor is it the most practical. But If i can find success... oh boy will it be fun!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I wish with all my heart that I was still young enough to know everything.:cool::cool::peace:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
It pays to have time to do a lot of research ;)
It pays to consider guys who spend a lot of time on the water as part of that research. I notice the research you are doing pertains to Alaskan waters. I have fished both Alaskan and Bc waters, and although many techniques are transportable, there are others that don't easily translate from one local to the other. Just because something works 800 miles away, in a totally different fishery, different topography, different pressure, etc. doesn't necessarily make it applicable in these waters. By all means, give it a try, but when someone like SalaR (who has, I dare say, spent more time on the water, than you have on Earth) offers his opinion that the odds of hooking up a pink on a popper is "remote" , a response like
It's not remote, i had pinks chase one down (multiples last year) but they wouldnt fully commit. I know you can catch them and im not discouraged. I am just seeing if anyone else has done this before. By the end of the trip i will have caught one on a popper let me assure you.
does look a bit arrogant. The fact that you had plenty of chasers but no takers should have indicated something to you. As some one who does, and who teaches research techniques, believe me, internet research is the easiest and least trustworthy research there is. Field research is infinitely more valuable. Good luck, enjoy your trip, and if you wish real success, be willing to take some advise from folks who live on this side of the Rockies. There is a world of difference between West Edmonton mall, and West coast fishing, even if they both start with "West".:cheers::peace:

G

·
I have taken many, many pinks on tubes skimmed on the surface on the Squamish, Mamquam, and Vedder. It is no trick! Granted if you want to prove your manhood by hooking 100 pinks, then subsurface presentations will put you in the hall of fame I guess, but for me, a few takes on the surface is just fine. Don't believe me? Check out the September\ October 2006 issue of Sport Fishing and read what Tom Johannesen has to say on the subject. Page 31 and 32. This article is what made me shift my tactics towards the easiest fish to catch and put a little challenge into a brutally easy fishery.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt mean to come off arrogant, i was being discouraged by not only salar but another.

My apologies to salar. I'll buy some extra flies at his shop :D

Thanks Ded, i've watched aggressive bright fish in BC come to the surface to check something out. It will be fun.

Another note, i wasnt asking to be discouraged on this topic, i was asking if anyone has ever done this. I really would not care if one person says its impossible. '

Finally, prof. Thanks for clarifying things to me and once again i am sorry for coming off arrogant and i know that i am young and have experienced little of what the older folks have and you're right, alaska can definitly be a whole different ball game then BC but i've seen this happen before so i do have hope.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes you can catch certain salmon species on surface flies and saltwater is generally easier than freshwater(although one person success rate is anothers boring time). The key is to put in your time and be creative with your methods. Try not to let the "It can`t be done" or "You won`t catch many that way" crowd interfere with your pursuit or you will give up to easily and never find out for yourself what is possible or what could be possible. Anytime I hit the saltwater for salmon in a boat I usually have one rod lined with a floating line and surface fly ready to go.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have taken many, many pinks on tubes skimmed on the surface on the Squamish, Mamquam, and Vedder. It is no trick! Granted if you want to prove your manhood by hooking 100 pinks, then subsurface presentations will put you in the hall of fame I guess, but for me, a few takes on the surface is just fine. Don't believe me? Check out the September\ October 2006 issue of Sport Fishing and read what Tom Johannesen has to say on the subject. Page 31 and 32. This article is what made me shift my tactics towards the easiest fish to catch and put a little challenge into a brutally easy fishery.

ya I tend to agree...for pinks in the river, and even chum in the stave, it is just too easy to catch them. I sound like a buzz killer, but the excitement is truly lost when you get a take every cast through. I like it when I have to work a bit for my fish. Trying to find where they hold and work them for a take makes it a lot more exhilarating.
That said, I went 0 for 6 (or was it 7?) this year steelhead fishing on the fly. By the end of those days, I was dreaming of a school of pinks rolling through ha ha

So, maybe dredge for pinks for a couple hours, then when you get bored, experiment with those poppers and let us know how you do!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes you can catch certain salmon species on surface flies and saltwater is generally easier than freshwater(although one person success rate is anothers boring time). The key is to put in your time and be creative with your methods. Try not to let the "It can`t be done" or "You won`t catch many that way" crowd interfere with your pursuit or you will give up to easily and never find out for yourself what is possible or what could be possible. Anytime I hit the saltwater for salmon in a boat I usually have one rod lined with a floating line and surface fly ready to go.

Cheers
Dave
Absolutely agree.

Jeremie keep it up, it is never a bad thing to try something different or new....Quite frankly I didn't get any arrogance out of your post, to me it was the exuberance of a young person sharing his passion for the sport....Just remember, don't fall into the trap of "l know it all" because that's when you stop learning.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks, i try not to sound like i know it all. But when people try to say "oh that will never work" thats where i take offence. Kind of like "Your stupid for even bother trying that". I love fly fishing, but to me, i don't consider running super fast sink tips and heavily weight flies for fly fishing (I enjoy this kind of fishing as long as i hook them in the mouth, but when i bring one in thats been snagged i am very dissapointed) especially not this kind of fishing. I can get using that technique for bull trout or deep browns, but not schooling salmon, these pinks arent eating. I'm not a purist in any way shape or form, and i never plan to be. If you can take pinks on just a weighted fly and maybe a split shot, okay thats fly fishing to me, everyone has their own opinions.

I also personally dont have a problem with spin fisherman either, they're there to catch their fish as long as its legal its a big WHATEVER. When they break the law, thats when i have a problem. If you want to consider my "fishing" with a sink tip and a fly IN a RIVER for SALMON unethical, go ahead. I'm having my fun, enjoying the sport CATCHING FISH :p

What I'm trying to get at is IF i can get them to take a popper consistently in fresh water or at least a few times, that would be awesome, and i hate the approach that fishing for salmon in streams is morally wrong or unethical, if i'm not fishing on a redd, it shouldn't matter, not to mention, if i provoke a fish into taking a fly, it still shouldnt matter.

I'm Still young, and im already getting the point that the scenery or getting out is the whole experience but i like catching fish and a lot of them, i know im not the only one, why else would we have places where we can catch 20 fish a day? Everyone loves catching fish, regardless of age otherwise you wouldnt be fishing or fly fishing in the FIRST PLACE.

IF im doing it by law it shouldnt be a problem. I dont keep fish because personally i dont like the taste :p but if someone wants to keep a fish from waters that allow it, i dont have a problem. Im going to try catching one on a popper regardless of everyone else's opinions that say its not possible or when they're discouraging me. For the people that know its possible and are encouraging it, thank you, its what keeps the passion in fisherman.

Anyways, RANT OVER, i want to catch fish. Back to my original question, HAS ANYONE CAUGHT PINKS IN FRESHWATER ON POPPERS BEFORE?

P.S. ANYONE GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT? :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts