BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am thinking of buying a pontoon boat for salt and fresh water use. What do I need to know before I spend the doe?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't think that a pontoon boat is a good choice for the salt. If you plan on using it on the salt, get a gas motor as rowing against the tide is really tough and wash it down really well when you use it, EVERY TIME. Get one that fits your size and weight. It's really a question of how much money do you want to spend to pimp it out the way that you want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought one

I did some research and finally decided I knew enough to buy what would work for me. First I have to agree that a pontoon boat really has no business in salt water. Second, you have to know what it is you want from a boat. For me, it's strictly stillwater fishing and I like to take some things with me as I go for the whole day on the water. The boat I decided on is the Colorado XT by Classic accessories. I like a lot of things about this boat but there are some flaws as well, but very easy to put up with. I have just taken my first trip with the boat and I have to say I was thrilled with how the day went. I'm already packed to head out first thing tomorrow morning to one of my favourite lakes for another day on the water. Don't waste to much time deciding what boat to buy, your losing time on the water. Good luck with whatever you pick and tight lines!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well I will have to disagree with both comments that pontoons don't belong on salt....Many people use their pontoons on salt myself included and have never had a problem....As with any boat it is extremely important to be aware of weather and water conditions before you venture out....When I first purchased my boat it was with lakes and rivers in mind....It has river rated 102" x 18" PVC coated pontoons with welded seams, 2 separate air bladders for each pontoon, powder coated aluminum frame, and 2 piece aluminum oars....These are just a few of its features I found to be very important....After every use on salt water I hose the boat down thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have to agree with ggp. Although I never used my toon in salt water, I've seen enough people in San Diego Bay using pontoon boats to know that there's no issue if you treat it properly. Just like everything else that touches saltwater, rinse thoroughly and repeat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A stainless steel frame is a good idea if you are going out in the salt. Aluminum is is better than steel, but will still rust.

Personally, I'd be pretty selective about where I went out in the salt with a pontoon - just like any small boat. Don't count on being able to row your way out of trouble, as ocean currents can be far to strong to fight. Also, be aware that you have a pretty low profile, and your visibility to other boats is poor.

I wouldn't recommend going after any spring salmon either, unless you want to be towed to Japan. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts