BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

what spey line do u prefer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Given the choice I'll take the longer rod with a long line on big water, winter or summer. While that is what I prefer I often find myself fishing a shorter rod and line on rivers where the big stuff is overkill.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had to go with skagit, it's the only one I know :)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
most everthin

I voted mid because that is what is on my reel right now.
I like whichever line is the most effecient for the situation.
With the exception of the long, because I suck at it.
Practice would probably fix that though.

G

·
spey lines

I prefer skagit lines right now as they alow me to fish short rod for the water i fish for now until i get better at long bellies and get new rod addicted to the two handed rods

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to me long belly line is more for "casting" and shorter belly line for "fishing"

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
to me long belly line is more for "casting" and shorter belly line for "fishing"
It all depends on when and where you are fishing! In the right place at the right time (OCTOBER), a long belly dry line is very effective, quick long casts, no stripping! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like them all.
I like the skagit lines for fishing windy conditions, heavy sink tips & bushy flies. In sub zero temps I hate the stripping & icing up of the guides/fingers.
In sub zero temps & fishing big water I like the mid/long bellies with floating, light tips or poly leaders.
Still working on the long belly casting. I've got a 16' Meiser on order & can't wait to swing that stick!
I've got to agree with Bergler, depends on the situation.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
General coverage

Having worked with so many lines and set-ups over the past 6 years does confuse me at times. But I have to say that for me the better setup is a mid-belly line with an interated sink tip...allowing me the versatility to go deeper with weighted flies and poly tips with the least amout of work. The skagit style line is great but ofers little "stealth" when needed... the upcoming months will require this. Few of you have actually worked with the full sinking lines and both Hardy and Snowbee have good systems. If you have questions about these lines ask. Loop also has a good system with their adapted lines.
By the way...I am sitting in a delightful little cafe in Spain ,and feel totally bound by non fishers...will be back in BC on the 25th , fishing on the 26th...

·
Registered
58 Posts
What kind of spey line

Got to go with mid to long belly lines, as thats whats really needed on the Spey at least for the first snow covered months, very little stripping in of line keeps the hands warm, not really a fan of some of the heavy lines used in some of the casting styles, for the reason of water disturbance ect, it looks really nice, but they say noise travels 10 times greater through water than air ,so its much like Sea-trout fishing nice and quiet with a nice tapered fly line, anchor only landing on the water i am wading through , after all i'm trying to catch them not scare the crap out of them, if i cast the line out from in front of me and cause a big water disturbance by casting from that position i might as well wade out to where my line landed and scare them from there. :)
Good to hear your enjoying your hols in Spain Salar,the last time i was in Spain having a coffee it was really expensive to sit out side, less expensive to sit inside, and even cheaper to stand inside.
You standing inside or sitting out front ? :D
Gordon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts