BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I was hoping someone could tell me what I would use for Pike on a Fly Rod in August. I was fishing for Trout / Greylings and found out there is Pike in this lake we've been camping at. I haven't done any fishing in Northern BC and am just visiting for a few weeks. They don't seem to be interested in what I have, searching around it looks like they like to eat bigger things than leaches.. more like frogs and other fish? Nuts. Can I catch a pike on a fly rod even? One came to surface near me and startled me, I think it was big. Help me catch these things and I'll post some pictures!

Haha, Thanks.
~
Allan

·
Registered
5 Posts
let me start by saying that I live in the northeast US and I have never caught a pike in british columbia. However, I am assuming pike are pike? I have caught them in New York and Labrador and Connecticut using a fly rod.

I have caught them on big (3-4 inch long) rabbit strip leeches. if your heart is in good condition, try deer hair mice patterns or largish bass poppers. warning; takes can be explosive and quite unsettling. you'll want to use a wire bite leader if you don't want to replace your fly frequently ? my only other thought is to use a streamer that looks like the forage fish ( sunnie, perch, ???) the pike are eating

HTH

tight lines !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for the info, these bass popper fly's look like they might do the trick. They even have eyes! I think they are exactly what these ugly mugs might want. The hair mice flys are great. I'll see if the local shop has anything like that before we go out again tomorrow while I pick up wire leaders. :D

Here are some links to fishing in Northern BC, says pikes be here!
Thanks again.

http://www.dist.hudsons-hope.bc.ca/fishing.html

http://www.gochetwynd.com/visitors/what-to-do-in-chetwynd - Click Lakes & Fishing.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I was just skidooing on Moberly yesterday, what a gorgeous friggen lake. Towards the head is where i was told people often fish. Looking forward to giving her a shot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts