BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Old Hary Bros Made in England Fly Reel (Sold)

I have this old Hardy bros reel givin to me a little while ago.
The model is "The Perfect" 3 7/8th. I dont know much about these old hardy reels but i was wondering if anyone knew some info about them, possibly how much they go for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! and yeah it works like new, gonna give it a try on the lakes soon

·
Registered
85 Posts
That one is a wide drum salmon reel . LiquidGuides01 reel is a narrow drum trout reel .
All of the wide drum models are measured as 3 1/2" , 3 3/4" , 4.00" , 4 1/4 " , 4 1/2" etc
The trout models are measured such as 2 7/8" , 3 1/8 " , 3 3/8" , 3 7/8" etc The 3 7/8" isn`t really a trout reel though , you could put a nine weight line and have plenty of room for backing . A good switch rod reel ?

Value depends on many things . Age , check , original reel foot , or altered , agate or not , right or left hand retrieve etc .

There are too many variables with the Perfects to guess their value sight unseen . I`d contact hardyguy here to see what info he can provide you .

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info Bthomas, I took the old line off it which i have never even seen before it was a brown sinking line that was almost like sharkskin fly line but differant. It would be a good switch rod your right, i'll have to give it a try on my switch rod. I also have the origional reel cover for it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have this old Hardy bros reel givin to me a little while ago.
The model is "The Perfect" 3 7/8th. I dont know much about these old hardy reels but i was wondering if anyone knew some info about them, possibly how much they go for?

Thanks!
Hey LiquidGuides01. Give Ronny a call at our shop. He evaluates old Hardy Reels and would have a good idea of the value of the rod. The store number is 604-872-2204. We also have a guy who can do some maintenance if needed.

Ttys,

JT
Pacific Angler

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very nice LiquidGuides01 - there's something very satisfying about using simple classic gear. Not at all in the same class as yours, I have an early K P Morritt Intrepid reel. Bought out by Orvis the same reel was rebadged the "Wye". Think I'll do a post on it.
All the best
Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looking at the photos , and seeing that the stampings are straight-line , I think that your reel dates back to the 40`s .
Are there any initials on the inside of the reel ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Speybandit! yeah i do like the look of the older reels for sure.
Thats good to know thomas, but theres no initials that I can see. I emailed a guy that knows a lot about these old hardy reels so i'm hoping to find out a lot of info.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the emails, i was told it was from the mid 40's early 50's and worth $300
The other guy said the same date but worth $350.
I hate to sell such a beauty old reel but I dont use my switch rod enough to use the reel with it.
Im going to start the price at $300 for the reel.

Anybody Interested?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bthomas i did notice there was initials beside the gear on the inside. The initials were T.A anybody recognize that?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts